Analogue Compression

just making a general statement, really

Than it must have been coincidental that you wrote it in response to some discussion about EQ. o_0

We are talking about phase cycles here - thats where the issue comes from.

You wouldnt have the problem with one shots if you are carefull.

Nothing wrong with using digital EQ in the soundprocessing stage imo.

(only mentioning the sequencing because its essentially another cycle on top of another cycle and then a miss will happen quickly when rendering a longer sequence).

It might be sensible to consider a hardware EQ a tone generator. Even when its set to cut, it has to generate a substitute tone.

So if we consider that, then it makes sense that you’d would want the same as you’d want from a synth compared with a softsynth. It’s just that its a richer more uncompromising ‘correcting’ signal. Also easier in how it sort of carves out its spot.

And then if you really get down to it, it’s probably like a natural glass light bulb compared with an electro bulb or whatever those savey ones are called, in how tiny fluctuations and shit - softens it up or makes it more ‘accesible’.

On playback, the sample memory are reset to zero.

Have you sat down and compared your unprocessed version to your tastefully digitally EQed at equal appropriate volume? Compensate for your bias in favour of your work by picturing that the processed version is the original and vice-versa.

how the hell are ya’ll so dam smart? especially phigure

It’s not abouit sample memmory or buffer size or stuff like that

its about how soft EQ works by phasing… and it’s quite an unmistakable effect.

You can proof test yourself if you’re unconvinced.

I’m not entirely sure what your position is. I think you’re trying to say that the filter does not alter the phase, but looping in the sequencer changes the phase every time?

On loop, the sample memory resets to zero every time. That would sound the same as if there were silence between the hits in a continuous signal.

The phasing occurs when the stored memory is summed with the current sample in variable amounts.

It sounds the same each time when I loop. I’ve already stated that I process single hits.

I’ve provided evidence that the filter on a continuous, not looping, signal, alters the phase. You yourself said that that is how a filter works…

No you are right about that as well, but thats another bi effect actually. I dont know about that technically other than that to work a filter has to introduce a shift in phase. It probably has to hit from an angle - kind of thing. Im not too sure.
And thats the linear and non linear bits.

But thats not entirely the same as how a soft EQ ‘drifts’ in phase.
Like you’ve made these super tiny cuts @ specific points on a freq scale right? they sound good the first time you set them up. But next time you check your mix those ‘cue’-points might have phased a tiny bit or drifted sort of away from the the bit it was cueing up.

If say, you where to render a long file going through some bars - then it might sound fine on the first couple of bars, but later on, even if the bars-structure is completely the same, it might have ‘fallen off’.