Best Desktop for Music Production?

Just not skilled to diy if i’m honest. Building a computer shows you have more dedication and you’re more legit.

Cuz spending $50,000 to go to the #1 audio engineering school in the country isn’t dedication or legit?

There are so many models and I dont keep up but for pre built PCs I feel like ASUS is a company to trust. Even when I built my computer it ended up being essentially an ASUS.

Otherwise mac book.

build your own PC, it’s a piece of piss:

1 BigUp

I’ll definitely look into that, thanks. What are your thoughts on alienware?

overpriced garbage

1 BigUp

Haha thanks😛

tbf ‘garbage’ is probably unfair, but they are overpriced. Like with Apple and other PC manufacturers, you’re paying for design. You can build a PC to exactly the same spec for less money, but the case might not be as pretty.

Ah i see, that sounds good cuz it’s not about the looks for me. The only thing is i have zero knowledge of computer engineering…

Read up on that toms hardware link above. You just need a case, motherboard, processor, ram, graphics card, PSU, keyboard, mouse, screen, hard drive/ssd, dvd drive and an audio interface.

It might sound daunting if you’ve never built a pc before, but it really isn’t hard - it’s just plugging stuff together and installing software, there’s plenty of how-to’s on the internet.

For computer music, if you’re planning on using a lot of vst soft synths/effects, etc then the CPU is important, you can pick up Intel i7’s pretty cheap now, but even i5 (cheaper) would probably do the job, it all depends on what you plan on doing with it.

If you plan on installing loads of sample libraries then you’ll need a big HD/SSD and if you plan on loading loads of big samples in memory then you’ll need enough RAM.

You can pick up 1TB drives pretty cheap these days and 8-16GB of RAM should be enough.

2 Likes

Thanks bruh, thars really helpful

shell out the cash for intel. digital audio workstations work better with multithreaded (intel) processors. i have friends with significantly shittier intel setups and i max out my cpu on my amd rig before them every time. definitely a big oversight i made when building my machine, would have definitely spent the extra money on intel had i known this.

1 BigUp

Ah i see, thanks

Not really, just shows you can build a computer tbh. Say he builds the computer and then goes “fuck music, I just wanna fuck with computers”.

1 BigUp

Nah it makes you appreciate your computer more when you’ve taken time to build it yourself.

True…

That’s true, but it still has nought to do with legitimacy and dedication.

Also very true…

It does in my book. Nobody likes a casul.

you mean YOU don’t like one