Can hear bass in headphones, but not in monitors - is this a problem?

This might be a stupid question, but what is point blank?

robostep my dude

its also a music production school, which I think databoi thought was getting referenced earlier

http://www.pointblanklondon.com/

1 BigUp

yea, thats exactly what i was thinking tbh. i just figured they had a label for students.

News to me, I will def try and write in D# then.

Ye, Start the sub there, tune the kick to it and build from there. Keep all your elements in scale from there . Prob look at D# minor ( Dā™Æ, Eā™Æ, Fā™Æ, Gā™Æ, Aā™Æ, B, and Cā™Æ) or somethign like that depending on the mood you are going for.

If he canā€™t hear the actual low end with the 8 inch drivers, but he can hear
the bass on tiny earbud driversā€¦ I doubt the problem is caused by the limited freq
response of the Yamaha loudspeakers.

My setup doesnā€™t go under 45Hz (sweeped sine), but I can definitely hear that low kick
in OPā€™s track. If there is actually a bass line happening underneath, it is way too low.
If the kick only operates in a very limited frequency band, it is very well possible that
the acoustics of your room make up the root cause. In my room, I can play a constant saw/sine combination at 55Hz and when I walk around it pretty much completely fades in and out.
The sound hits different combinations of boundaries and reflects at a certain degree in- or
out of phase, causing destructive or constructive interference with the original source.

In a small room, these kinds of sub notes donā€™t have enough room to fully develop in the first
place. It could for example be that a certain note only develops to 1/4, meaning it hits
a parallel boundary at maximum energy, reflects and cancels out completely.

2 Likes

Really interesting quick guide, thanks for that!