Brostep, Tearout, Filth: The Good Stuff

I remember browsing the archived DSF forum and Bar 9, probably one of the biggest brostep names in the 2009-2010 boom, used to cut dubplates. :corntard: Times change fast innit.

1 BigUp

Bar9ā€™s more clownstep imo.

1 BigUp

this is really fucking good lol.

americas got so much talent thatā€™s gonna be let loose on our sorta UK music in the future.

1 BigUp

2 Likes

everything after this was just total brostep, filth, garbage

even this was a bit tasteless compared to grime 1

4real op i love questionable tearout stuff. coki4ever

6 Likes

preach

4 Likes

Haha! I remember listening to it loads on the bus home from college. Along with the ā€˜bar9 in the mixā€™ cd.

i think the rule goes if it is a good track itā€™s a good track regardless of what genre/sub genre it fits in.
genres in theory are a great idea to define what it is that you like but in use people see it as an excuse to point out what they dislike.
for instance iā€™m not a massive fan of hardcore but some hardcore tracks are awesome, same goes for every genre so in reality you canā€™t just say you donā€™t like brostep as the chances are that there is some brostep sounding track you do like.
i found if you judge each track on their own and not the genre itself you will learn a lot more a broaden your taste in music.

3 Likes

Really nice way of putting it, that people use genres as a way to define what they donā€™t like. I donā€™t like that negativity either. Sure, there is tons of music (just in general) thatā€™s like nails on a chalkboard to meā€“but I canā€™t name a single genre of music in which there arenā€™t quite a few songs I like.

Sub genre-ing things to death has also become this asinine marketing tool. Need to sell records? Claim you invented a new genre!

2 Likes

I think there are tunes which are described as brostep (which is usually considered negative), but whether you like them or not you canā€™t really deny their production quality. Also despite the harsher midrange sounds and all that many of them still have a sick low-endā€¦ Iā€™m thinking Caspa for example, Iā€™m a sucker for all of his Fabriclive era tunes.
Then, brostep is also the name for the utter shit EDM-dubstep which began some time later and was associated with America.

Anyway, I agree, people should not be that sensitive to genre names.

1 BigUp

And a lot of it is totally relative/subjective - like the Coki ting. Some ppl rate him as the original bro, others insist that it only broā€™d out when it hit the states and shitty laptop speakers became the normal playback medium.

For instance: is this bro or no (in your opinion)?

1 BigUp

I canā€™t believe youā€™re actually asking looool

In retrospect, Iā€™ve said Coki was the first bro a lot but now, Iā€™d say heā€™s more of a ā€˜riddimā€™ pioneer/proto-bro.

But you realize that someoneā€™s gonna say ā€œnah thatā€™s weakstep as fuckā€ and someone else is gonna say ā€œnah shits too harshbro braā€. I actually kinda like it - not like fucking fanboy OMGnextlevel, justā€¦ Yeah.

And fuck you lol. Just tryna make a point after a bottle of wine.

ā€˜Spongebobā€™ - original 140 tearout?

And for SNH SnG:

when i was first getting into the ting argon was real, San Francisco dubstep was popping off. Matty G, DjG, JuJu, Baby System, Noah Dā€¦ mini golden age for us locals

2 Likes

[quote=ā€œronzlo_, post:36, topic:5594ā€]from Wikipedia:
Slightly faster than traditional dubstep, brostep is also seen as more accessible than its predecessor, and is heartily looked down upon by Old School dubstep enthusiasts who regularly fill over a dozen pages on Dubstepforum.com anytime anyone mentions the word brostep, with many heads calling for an outright ban on the New School name.
[/quote]
aw bullshit
we donā€™t have pages anymore
who wrote this?

and yeah, Spongebob was tear-out & wobble but not bro
just like some of Caspaā€™s & Trolley Snatcherā€™s harder tunes

to me it becomes bro
when it becomes harder & noisier
than it is heavy and minimal

no way is Examination of Time a candidate for bro
itā€™s a perfect wobbly weighty piece of dubstep for sticking head in bin
way too stately.

in comparison, every time Iā€™ve tried to listen to Zeds Dead
Iā€™m repulsed by the crassness.

If you wait more than 40 secs after the drop it becomes pretty darn obvious imo.

And spongebob is pretty much the definition of riddim.

Itā€™s Wikipedia, digital Maoism dunyekno.

Got an edit? Gwaarn rude bwooy! Sā€™all yu.

If they ask for citations youā€™ll get at LEAST ten truhedz to clobberaberate (rate) yr story as TRUE, thus truhedĀ©Ā®:soon::on::top:.

And now: everybody dance.

1 BigUp

I think @kLik_kLak posted this the other day.
I rate it, some other good stuff on this EP too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDOUaJpLiME

3 Likes