Dubstep that is not 4/4 Time

I dont know about you but I never stumbled across any Dubstep that is not in 4/4 time…
So I decided to make one myself.

https://soundcloud.com/jtackofficial/jtack-pegasyz-cinematic-34-time-dubstep

Please Post other non 4/4 Dubstep Tracks
Feedback is apreciated aswell :smiley:

Thanks

2 Likes
1 BigUp

I made one that switches from 7/4 to 9/4 so it actually stays in 4/4 but the emphasis moves around. I’ll see if I can find it.

do ppl make shit like this just to piss off djs

3 Likes

Maybe some, I do this whenever I circle back to that realization that nobody would play my shit out though.

i love weird timings…this one is 4/4 but it feels like 3/4 or whatevs…it’d be nice to hear more experimentation with timings in dubstep tbh

1 BigUp

Also Burial’s track “Spaceape” is in 12/8 or 4/4 with a very hard triplet feel. Not quite odd meter, but definitely not strict 4/4.

1 BigUp

amazing how well that one still works when you think of it as 3/4

also clutch is on a bit of a weird 3+3+2 or whatever ting

2 Likes

before dubstep but I made a 3/4 tune in 1999 that went out on satellite records (part of soul jazz), trying to find audio on the internet but no dice, you can buy it on scogs tho lol

6 Likes
2 Likes

3/4 isn’t that odd imo. It’s just a swing kind of thing. 3/4 = 6/8. so it’s still pretty even, and a lot of classical dancey music was in that time (waltz and such). It’s really hard to make something in a truly odd signature feel dancey and smooth. Best way to go about it would be to add up odd signatures so it’s still 8/8 if you’re going for something that people can dance to. so like 5+3 or 5 + 2 + 5. that kind of thing. Also Tool’s drummer Danny Carey does a really good job of making their odd time sigs feel pretty smooth. I would love to hear something in an odd time signature lol.

ALSO polyrhythms. I love those.

I always liked this old chestnut, 4/4 for the most part but that 7 beat chorus tho

Basement Jaxx blatantly stole it for this

Not dubstep

Jazz

Made this really quick. it’s in 3/5 with 3/4 polyrhythms. Lemme know what you think

it fucks with my head, I can’t even work out what the timing is…same with this one

interesting comment on that tho ^

Renatto Belerofonte 7 months ago (edited)
||: ♩. ♩ . ♩_|_♩ ♩. ♩. :||
3/4 3/4 4/4 3/4 3/4
▲ ▲ ■ ▲ ▲

Makes a square pyramid

Hmm not sure that guy’s right. Pyramid song is 4/4 with the emphasis moving around. 5/4 to 3/4 = 8/4 = 4/4

i’ll take your word for it, i can’t get my head round it but i’m no expert and I have no musical training, it kind of amazes me how a band of musicians can simultaneously play parts in time signatures like these

well lets see. The main groove is in 3/5 (3 beats every 5 bars) - that being the sub, shakers and snare/kick.

Against that is the skank, which is in 3/4 (3 beats every 4 bars… basically a swingy 4/4) and it’s playing on the 2 and 4.

and under that is some percussion playing in 3/4 basically just a 1 2 3 4 beat.

Over all that is the wubby thing which is in 3/5 playing triplets emphasizing 1 2 3 and 5.

So there’s 3/5 and 3/4 so every 4 bars they line up.

As for playing it live… It’s all about practicing and learning the feel and getting the groove down. If you really listen and focus on the individual parts it becomes a bit easier.

2 Likes

f*** djs, we are only intending to make music, I’m a producer, a noobie producer, and I like to make music, but for myself, because I love music, and not for the djs, and I’m not looking forward to be a dj/producer as well, I only focus on producing, sorry if this is annoying to you, and if it was I’m sorry :frowning: