First world problems for a producer' :)

The biggest reason not to make cookie cutter music imo

^Standards for a good mix have changed quite a lot since that thread tho

bestow us with your knowledge kind sir

3 Likes

What, more limiter?

(Especially) in EDM.

Highs are way more prominent than back in a day. And so individual sound are treated differently. In the past people said stuff like “lowpass your snare at 12k”. These days people have their snares going all the way up to 20k to maximize loudness.

Stuff like “the kick at -6 and bass at -6” is not the case anymore. Things are pushed to 0 dB (or close) and then time is spent on figuring out a way (like volumeshaper) to prevent them from distorting too much.

Tracks have way more content on the side channel than some years ago. Also, the idea that you “add some reverb to have some stereo activity” doesn’t cut it anymore. It’s haas-effect and mid/side processing, and expanders all day (again, judging from how pro tunes sound and look like when played in “side only”).

Vocals in mono? Lol no.

Less is more? Pretty questionable at times.

And yes more loudness, which a lot about the previously mentioned stuff but also limiting/other forms of compression indeed.

so like just loud with no dynamics? I prefer macc’s gain structure method myself but I don’t make edm so its cool

From my point of view, “Just loud with no dynamics” would be that you first go with macc’s gain structure and then squash the whole track to abyss and call it a day. But I guess it’s subjective so…

dunno, your post just sounds like guide to making flat ear tiring tracks with brick waveforms tbh

#Brickwave

Although the increased use of mid/side processing is a good thing overall.

But yeah, growing tired of compression & limiting being used all the time on everything to the fukkin’ max.

I’m not saying they wouldn’t become bricks in the end. That’s not the point. Any mixdown will be a brick if you crush it enough, no need for any of these other things if your goal is to make a sausage waveform. There’s still a huge gap between that and making a relatively good sounding brick.

Think about how long it took for people to get to that point in the first place. Like when brostep started to get popular, the standard was a relatively good mix. Regardless of how everyone’s mixdowns were, nothing was loud. When loudness became a thing, at the first it was just about crushing shit. Then some big names released tunes that were really super loud, but still quite punchy. Then more and more people figured out that stuff. Now these days things are just even more ridiculous, it’s like Loudness war v2 where these loud but still listenable mixes are pushed even more just for the sake of it.

Now maybe I don’t know shit, but to me it seems that this is where the line stands today. When I started listening to electronic music, there were so many major tunes that had just an average mix. Now when scrolling through the webpage of some big label, like 90% of the stuff is crystal clear and loud as hell.

Idk, I’d like to hear how someone who has started making electronic music in let’s say 2016 feels about the whole thing, but I think it would be way more overwhelming than like 6 years ago.

Mmmm a tasty sausage…

recording everything in my digitakt is loooong. so much stuff on there.
the ball ache is where Ive discovered switching bpm from global to pattern so theres some projects which are all different bpm and since Im setting the bpm on the timeline those projevts take ages and theres loads of em.

trynna record it all so I can wipe it and load of those murica samples @_ronzlo osted in the free thread

1 BigUp