Gear Lust Part 7

I wouldn’t mind spending some time with those either.

Really would like to get the Moog sound in my studio. I was considering a Taurus. Sub 37’s look so dope though. $1500? That’s quite a bit but I just spent $2000 repairing my car over the last couple of months. Maybe I could swing it in a few months.

I rarely spend that much on an instrument. I built my studio using my technological detritus hypothesis.

The only two instruments that I have ever spent more than that were my upright bass and my first proper sampler, an Akai S5000 new in 1999.

Yea. I think the Sub 37 is similar to the Sub Phatty, but has more synthesis options and is duophonic yea? For whatever reason Moog seems to cost a lot of for a line of all monophonic synths (there aren’t any high polyphony count Moogs are there? I could be totally wrong…). While I like the Moog sound the price point is just so damn high…when I feel like you can get so much more out of other boxes.

@mks what is some more modern detritus though?

Really, it seems to operate in a 15 - 20 year cycle. I personally think romplers like the Roland JV’s have been some good detritus. Legowelt was talking about that; that there are so many new analog monosynth’s being released that everyone is going be be sounding similar. Now, you and I know that is an exaggeration but it is similar to how I felt in the early 2000’s when Reason and VST’s started coming on the scene and a lot of my friends were selling off their hardware gear. I thought if everyone was using the same programs that there was too much sameness to it all. I thought that each studio should be it’s own unique entity coming down to the instruments in the studio and the operator behind them. I chose to keep all of my hardware then, and I’m glad I did.

1 BigUp

Glad you gelled with it, why you sell?

This is contrary to what even elektron fan bois have said about the elektron line. Many people buy elektron and just ditch it cause they can’t wrap their head around it.

I’m just repeating what I’ve read hundreds of times, I have no personal experience.

Further, from all the demos I’ve heard, they really are techno boxes, or at best, excel as techno boxes. Was just a thread on GS, asking if like the octatrak could do hip hop, everyone was like SURE! and posted up videos of the most stiff ungroovy beats. herf.

I don’t know. Moog is inflated, and I feel elektron is inflated. Or they’re for a different segment of the market, up market. I’m downtown nwjbrown.

But, there is something to be said for just getting a good sound immediately, not having to finesse it into sounding good. Also, mks, think of your time restraints, going forward, your time is going to be incredibly valuable. And studio time even more so.

With that said, I’ve got stacks of toy instruments: MicroKorg, MicroSampler, sp404sx, volca bass, volca sampler, I think you can get good sounds, and have good flow with them.

Anyway, super tired, don’t even know what I’m writing. My bad. Silence is golden.

:mask:

This is a link to another post, the forum is fucking up and not loading the content of that post.

Can click arrow to get to post.

OK, full disclosure… I am a full on Elektron fanboy…I’ve been using their instruments for about 13 years and may just be so immersed in Elektronese that it’s warped my brain to fit their way of thinking, but I’ve never really understood people who say that the Elektrons have a bad interface. For me, they are by far the most intuitive drum machine/groovebox type product out there today (other than the Octatrack, which is such a deep and complicated beast). On the A4, all the synthesis is laid out on 10 pages of 10 parameters (some pages don’t use all the soft knobs tho), so its much like the waldorf or DSI synths in terms of creating and editing sounds. The menu diving on it is only related to sequencer and system settings stuff that you usually don’t need to get into all that often. The only synth related stuff that requires any menu diving that I can think of off the top of my head is assigning stuff to the joystick, aftertouch, or velocity. The Moog stuff sounds great, and their are certain advantages to having all parameters laid out in front of you, but in the end, using hardware triggered from the DAW is a more incremental step to going entirely OTB. You still wind up sequencing and editing the audio in the DAW. I love things with their own built in sequencers, and the elektrons do it best IMO because of the highly integrated nature of sound and sequencing. No need to set up automation lanes for CC’s for every parameter you would want to tweak, its all just there and immediately accessible.

2 Likes

I feel the same - there’s always so much I forget that I want to incorporate into my tracks. Gotta make a list too!

That video is great. I agree with his take on leaving those imperfections and happy accidents in there, things that you maybe wouldn’t have come across if you were working in the box with a completely sterile perfect environment.

I’ve wanted a Korg Poysix & Roland Space Echo for ages… lust is expensive!

Agree, but with the caveat that you can still get fucked up things happening itb. Happy accidents and what not.

Very much so.

my M-Audio BX8 are great, I’d recommend 'em over the Rokits any day. Nice low end response but I often crave a sub! Got em for about £300 on thomann

@Nowaysj

I wouldn’t call the Monomachine a strictly “Techno” box…but I can kinda agree with you to an extent…there original trio kind work best for certain kinds of music.

Seriously the only reason I sold mine was because we thought my grandpa was not long or the world and it was the only way I could a round trip ticket to FL to visit…he is still alive and kickin’ …but at the time it seemed like the right thing to do…

In retrospect I think I would have sold it anyway, even though I think its a great machine, its vibe is very…like…I dunno “European Minimal” lol…sorry you lot…I dunno how else to describe it…no insult intended.

I’d love to have an A4 and a RYTM at this point…I’d even give a Machinedrum a shot at the right price!

1 BigUp

Wait, what does flstudio have to do with your grandpa.

No, goodman.

Rare.

Bigups.

1 BigUp

My gramps merged with FL Studio during version 9. He is like Skynet, taking over the world with his sick brostep beats!

2 Likes

Saw T2 like two nights ago.

1 BigUp

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=97982

Well. That is a bit disappointing. I can’t fucking believe you can’t create libraries and import sounds that way. But seriously, I want to know about sampling audio directly. You must be able to truncate a sample…if so fuck it…I’ll just be sampling my hardware or various audio media anyway…

this is a sketch of the first song I’m working on for a new project…a little compression eq and saturation itb …but otherwise all hardware multi tracked into fl studio…going to edit it into something that makes more sense soon.

edit: it’s kinda long …but anyway…I never post any choons

I know I’m kinda late to this but SOPHIE makes all his percussion and a lot of the main parts of his songs on a Elektron Monomachine. The reason that there are not a lot of good examples of non techno stuff is cause only the Techno guys post vids and brag about hardware that’s expensive.