[Gear Talk] Basic gear for Dubstep production?

To be fair, he did open with this tho:

Agree 100%.

Actually to this end I’d say that the plugs that come bundled with Reaper are a great way to start: their interfaces are simple and minimal and each plug one only does one thing, not 8 million, so you can really learn what they do.

A little confused: mixdown is not mastering. Agreed that proper mixdown can be challenging (I still suck lol) but a mastering chain should be the very last thing on a producer’s learning list, and arguably a producer shouldn’t fuck with mastering unless they have a compelling reason to do so.

good chit here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/52g3oc/eli5_mixing_vs_mastering/

1 BigUp

Thank you for all your lovely replies everyone! :grouphug:

I have been very busy in my realm. :eyeroll:

Nonetheless, I am very grateful for all your replies and amicable discussion! :exclamation: :smile: :exclamation:

One question I do have:

Is a 8GB RAM DDR4 Laptop fit enough for production? :confused_og:

I plan on FL Studio with a couple Plug-ins from NI Komplete 11 Bundle. :slight_smile:

Yes I think, u less you plan on having 32 tracks with effects on them. A good thing to have is a decent CPU as well, at least intel i5, to handle all the cpu intensive plugins.

1 BigUp

^I’m not 100% sure (and can’t check right now), but I think my laptop has 4GB. And usually I have way more than 32 tracks in a project.

But it really depends on your production style tbh. 4GB or 8GB, you’re gonna get CPU overloads anyway if you have 30+ heavyweight synths on ultra settings plus 5-15 effects on every track. It’s better to bounce things to audio. That’s also pretty much the only way to go if you have 100+ tracks in your project, assuming you’re not gonna spend 2k on your computer alone.

1 BigUp

Fruity Loops seems to be the fastest way to producing something. As you advance you might look at Ableton

1 BigUp

I thought Dubturbo was the only way to make quality beats on da kwik doe yo…

:wink_og:

1 BigUp

I am torn between i5 with DDR4 or i7 with DDR3? :eyeroll:

Which is more important: RAM type of Processor? :man_shrugging:

Good discussion here;

“Ram = useful for samples or VST sample based like Komplete or omnisphere.
CPU = useful when you have a lot of tracks and for VST in general”

2 Likes

Thanks for that gilly!

I really value your share!

Does dubturbo have decent instructional videos? :cornblur:

I am considering getting the program it seems pretty swell for 40$. :smiley:

However, the songs I’ve heard from it are pretty cookie cutter… :eyeroll:

I can see how this could excite someone who wants to make dubstep, but it’s pretty basic and cookie cutter in my opinion. :frowning:

I want to know if I can take the dubturbo instructional videos and take those skills into a different DAW like FL. :smile_og:

If not, does anyone know of some great courses or instructional bundles for FL Dubstep Production? :slight_smile:

Right now I just plan on youtube ripping the various tuts I’ve found, but I am literally at the bare beginning level… :cornersault:

You can get Reaper for $60. Just sayin’.

3 Likes

I’d say go fiddle around in your DAW rather than spend ages on tutorials. But if it’s a must for you, imo it’s better to watch tutorials/masterclass videos made by headlining artists, rather than anything some company tries to sell you for fifty bucks.

Also, I think there’s much more to be learned from observing how these experienced artists think while producing rather than doing “monkey see - monkey do” after watching some tutorial where some kid with almost inaudible voice tells you how you should always do certain thing in a certain way.

1 BigUp

For real, just fuck with a standard 16 step sequencer ting and once you’ve mastered it you’re ready to think about a DAW.

1 BigUp

I don’t think he has a DAW yet.

I would recommend that you get something that you can grow into. That is why I wouldn’t recommend Dubturbo, but with that said, I have never used it. All of the links for it look really bait. I have never really looked at it to be honest.

I have never used Reaper myself as well, but through word of mouth I know it’s a fully capable DAW that is highly customizable and can handle audio, VST’s and MIDI.

For $60 you can’t go wrong, especially if you are just getting into this. There are plenty of free VST’s to be found out there as well.

1 BigUp

DubTurbo was a pisstake btw (some of you figured that out I hope) :badteeth:

@IllumiNate - I just remembered this thread: everything here is free to fuck with and can help you past the initial learning phase.

I wouldn’t even think about buying anything until you’ve at least learned about 16 step sequences, ADSR, waveform types, LFOs, just basic-basics. Audiotool and Audiosauna are good ways to cut your teeth on this stuff without committing to anything.

1 BigUp

Not necessarily, some people myself included get by on minimal musical theory knowledge; however, a course isn’t necessary for learning just do some online research.

1 BigUp

I found it very clunky, on the other hand workflow is amazing in Ableton.

1 BigUp

Most def not saying it mandatory. It just helps for those who don’t have the drive to teach themselves or just prefer to be taught. I was a band head so it helped me a lot.

1 BigUp

Is a 16 step sequencer a virtual instrument or a physical one like these:

It can be either: it’s a format based on old hardware sequencers and drum machines. Like on an 808, there are 16 buttons across the bottom in the row; you select a drum voicing (like kick or snare) and create your hit pattern using those 16 steps.

This is a fun little exe that can teach you all about the concept with the bonus add on of teaching about choke/sample cutoff groups:

http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/

1 BigUp