[Gear Talk] Basic gear for Dubstep production?

Thank you very much for the link my friend!

:smile_og:
:pray:

Yerp.

It’s also all based on the quarter note convention of western and popular (western) structure so you may chafe one day.

For now it’s all you need to know.

1 BigUp

My setup is incredibly stripped down right now.

I’ve gone from:-

Treated room, K&HO300’s + Benchmark DAC1, UAD, Midi-Keyboard, Outboard compression etc

to:-

Laptop, mixing through laptop speakers and switching to HD600 headphones, basic plugins

That being said my laptop is pretty powerful (16gb RAM, 2.5GHZ Quad) which I absolutely need with the amount of tracks and processing I use but monitoring wise I’m quite happy with my HD600’s and not having to worry about the room.

If I were to speak to my younger self (presumably through some time travel phone) I would recommend decent headphones from the word go and just make sure the computer is powerful for your workflow. Even if it isn’t powerful enough there are ways to get around it (bouncing, freezing tracks, stemming)

1 BigUp

I work on a laptop and headphones too

After working in a recording studio I realised that gear makes no difference if ur music isn’t good. A lot of very shit bands passed thru and even though they had a fairchild and la2a etc on everything they still sounded like shit.

I do need new cans tho I keep putting it off

1 BigUp

Yeah man, I fell into the trap of “My music is shit because I don’t have XYZ” and I guess to a certain extent that’s what companies need you to believe for you to keep buying their stuff.

I’m not saying that good equipment isn’t great, used in the right place it can really improve things, just that well if your tunes aren’t being signed etc it’s not because you didn’t have an SSL comp with API eq on every channel, it was probably just that you had a shit tune :slight_smile:

1 BigUp

Greetings Fam! :wave: :smile:

After some research and worldly alignment I’ve finally set my sights on what I deem a decent laptop! :smile:

Here are the Specs:

~7th Gen Intel Core i5

~8GB DDR4 RAM

The link:

As you can see this is a pretty affordable laptop for a new producer. :blush:

My question is: Are there better laptops for the money out there? :slight_smile:

I am working with other people to acquire this laptop so our price range is around 500$ - 700$. However if I give them a really good reason why it would be better to go up to the 1000$ status they might consider it. :corn:

But for now, I know that I could easily score this laptop and start learning! :cornersault:

Any input is greatly appreciated, thank you so much! :cornblur:

Hey everyone! :adios:

I know it’s been awhile as I’ve been really busy monking around… :jointbounce:

Anyway, I am ready to purchase a laptop! :recordingcrew:

I have my sights set on these two:

or

IMO, the red one with the i7 is superior.

My real question is:

What’s the major difference between these tops?:typing:

One is obviously a better computer, but why do they run the same price?:smashedlol:

I am thankful for any response, again it’s been awhile. :pray:

I am so glad to post on dsf again! Yippee! :cornverted:

i’d hazard a guess and say it’s bcs that the grey one has better build quality (my ex had one, metal chassis and shit) and the red one has a touchscreen.

Thanks for your reply syrup! :adios:

I eventually selected and purchased this one:

Here are it’s specs:

• Powerful 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8550U 1.8GHz (Turbo up to 4.0GHz) processor

• NVIDIA GeForce™ MX130 2GB Graphics

• 8GB DDR4 RAM

• 1TB HDD Storage

• 15.6" FHD WideView display with 0.3" ASUS NanoEdge bezel for a stunning 80% screen-to-body ratio

• 14.2" wide, 0.8" thin and portable footprint; Ergonomic chiclet keyboard

• Comprehensive connections including USB 3.1 Type-C (Gen1), USB 3.0, USB 2.0, and HDMI; Lightning-fast 802.11ac Wi-Fi keeps you connected through any congestion or interference

Now I have a huge question that needs answering:

Will this computer be able to run FL Studio? :smashedlol:

Here are the system requirements for FL:

• 2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon 64 (or later) compatible CPU with full SSE2 support.
  • WINDOWS 7 or later / macOS 10.11 or later.
  • 4 GB or more RAM recommended.
  • 4 GB free disk space.
  • Soundcard with DirectSound drivers. ASIO/ASIO2 compatible required for audio recording.

My curiosity remains with the processor.
The speed on this laptop only gets 1.8Ghz (but it can boost up to 4.0Ghz…)

Could any computer experts tell me if this is worth it?
I thought it’d be alright when I got it, but I’ve only been able to test it out through public wifi and my friend’s mobile hotspot - so I can’t tell if this is worth it yet.

I would really appreciate some feedback, as I only have 30 days to return it.

On another note, I’ll probably make the jump on ordering FL Studio with Serum soon. :nogunfinger:

I’m considering getting the Signature edition to get all the plug-ins that come with it, but my heart tells me it’s probably not worth it and to just stick with the Producer Edition. :heart:

I’m really excited to dive in and find my bearings. :corndance:

Any input is greatly appreciated! :bluethumb:

Thanks!

~Nate

It will run FL Studio just fine.

I need to save up for a new PC, the one I have right now is going to die soon. My dad bought a nice PC a year ago, i7 16gb ram gaming computer. I think I want to save for that, and it only costs 400$ refurbished

Thanks for confirmation mks! :bluethumb:

That makes me feel a lot better! :corndance:

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to resurrect this thread to share all the creations I’ve made so far on my journey! :bluethumb:

The DSF has played A HUGE ROLE in my devlopment,
and all the input/support/ and feedback that this thread yielded has defintiely impacted my production life.

I have listened, and followed certain guidance(s) given here,
and I am so thankful because they have always pointed me in the proper direction!

SO,

D
S
F

~ Thank You! :cornersault:
And I hope you enjoy these tunes here (I’m open to all and any feedback/input/support)

~Thanks a-gain! :corndance:

& w/out further adieu, HERE GO!:

Please,
:red_circle::red_square::red_circle:SUBSCRIBE​:red_circle::red_square::red_circle:
((("D00d c’mon - it’s not that hard… )))

:stuck_out_tongue:

Also,

want to give
a huge SHOUTOUT
to your boiz:

@Alert1
@sleeps
@SquidBoi

for joining & participating in
Magick CRNTHB (The Remixes Vol. 1)
!

Check it out!:

\\

There is going to be a Magick CRNTHB (The Remixes Vol. 2) … !

So if you would like to join,
I would like to feature you!

You can find the Magick CRNTHB Remix Challenge Starter Pack HERE:

I would encourage you to make your own :corndance: corny theme’d:corndance: artwork.

& I will make a video of your song, and post it to my channel with any links you wish! :cornersault:

:green_heart:Would love to have you on! :green_heart:

:pray: Thanks a-gain! :pray:

:ear::ear:Hope to hear from you soon! :ear: :ear:

2 Likes

dubstep

2 Likes

1 BigUp

1 BigUp

I know we could get a sick screencap infinity loop thing going but I just wanted to direct attention to the fact that this dude dead ass chose a cringe 2007 style dubstep meme as his opener

3 Likes

Yeah I thought it was a weak opener too.
0/10 imdb