Against The Clock series: Production Inspiration šŸ¤©

Itā€™s a world away from the recent quality of the FACT Against the Clock videos though. That Plastic Ian one was terrible, a lot of them have been sample pack drums with shit three note melodies. Nice to see someone doing something genuinely innovative since the Fracture one;

2 Likes

deffo the best one ive seen, guy is amazing

1 BigUp

Plastic Ian was a huge fucking let down : (

Iā€™ve yet to peep this one though.

Does eh not already have an Ableton template pre-loaded? Which is kinda cheating. But anyway big, 1st one of these Iā€™ve seen

they have been getting worse, the Halogenix one he just loads stems from a folder

Yeah, I said as much when I posted it here;

Anyone seen Rhythm Roulette as well? 9th Wonder one is ridiculous

5 Likes

Yeah, post most of them in here;

that was sick

Can someone tell me what some of the equipment 9th wonder is using?

Fuck thatā€™s expensive :confused:

Is it frowned upon to use drums from a sample pack? I can understand using pre made drum loops from a pack isnā€™t very creative but what do people think about using one shots to make your own drum loops out of?

Everyone uses one shots, and everyone uses loops. Just to varying degrees. Maybe not from a commercial pack, but sampled instead. There are indeed people who make everything from scratch but I wouldnā€™t say it really matters or makes something better or worse. Itā€™s just how someone prefers to work.

You will get the occasional person who recognises the loop and will call you out, but I wouldnā€™t worry about it. Iā€™ve heard some of the best producers in electronic music use sounds from sources I also had, but what they did with it was still impressive.

2 Likes

Top answer

Hi Harry
Yes itā€™s frowned upon by lots of people you find on forums. But who cares?, you should do whatever inspires you the mostā€¦ Even if you didnā€™t grow the tree, cut the wood, form it into a cylinder, put a synthetic animal skin on it, hit it with a stick, record it down a wire with electrical currents you discovered, into a sound recorder you invented yourselfā€¦
Even the music ā€œgurusā€ take a little help somewhere along the line. We are all on our own journey, donā€™t worry about what forum schwingers say you should do. Just do whatever inspires you the mostā€¦

Peace :innocent:

Personallyā€¦I use a lot of hip hop breaks/loops that are supposed to be 90-100bpm at 130ish and chop them to fit the bpm and vibe wanted, cherry pick the bits i like (nice snare, hh roll whatever). Doesnā€™t really matter depends how good (and often original) the final tune is. Sometimes just use one shots but can end up with the same vibe/patterns each time, good to keep a bit of production kinda random (chopping drum beats means you end up with randomised things that work).

1 BigUp

This oneā€¦ I keep rewatching it.

best one yet imo

1 BigUp
2 Likes