How to achieve FM Drone and Growl Basses?

I found this to be really helpful.

2 Likes

Dude that’s my tutorial!

https://clyp.it/fngrntb0 did this drone

Nice , but I feel that everything bass wise is too quite. Or you mixed your drums too loud.

IMO drums go at -5db
sub goes at -6db
basses and synths go at -7 to -15 db

Nice sounds though!

i really have no idea what i am doing, i usually put my master on -11 db and leave the kick and the snare on 0db i read that in a book somewhere. it might be the side chain, i create a side chain ghost track and put it wherever the kick and snare are and route everything through it.

Moneyshot Gainstaging
Leave your master fader at zero and turn down your tracks.

1 BigUp

Hey OmegaMode thanks for the tips. I’ve been a huge fan of your music. Cough when i heard Mutated, I replayed the second breakdown like a thousand times!!! I love the vocals. Any who, I was wondering if you could give me some advice on promoting my music. That’s the hardest part for me.

-Player 2

Alright, this is the first time i really focus on doing a good drone bass hahaha :sweat_smile:

Made in Xfer Serum, basically a Sine with FM Synthesis from a dope wavetable in serum
FX: Hard Clip distortion, Hyper, Some Eq to gain more high frecuencies because crunchyyy :heart_eyes: and to kill the low frequencies so it doesn’t interfere with the sub bass.

And Vocodex :two_hearts::revolving_hearts: so it sounds gnarly :ok_hand:

Oh that tutorial by Source Code that you posted for the ‘Gritty Wahp Bass’, Looks very nice and covers some crucial elements it’s very cool. :ok_hand:

So i see one of the important parts is adding some hyper and dimension expander lol so it gives the dark detuned effect to the bass, like Spag Heddy’s :blush:

Anyone still active here? I have a growl and drone bass here in this loop.

I made both sounds. The growl is made with Massive and post-processing, and the drone noise doubles as a screech noise in the single Serum patch I made it in. Macros are a wonderful thing.

I really love the sytrus synthesizer for growls and fm… its really good for that, and much more…
Here is a tutourial i found really helpfull …

1 BigUp

https://soundcloud.com/godzofficial/destroy-uteris-on-monitors?in=godzofficial/sets/girls-on-drugz

What I do is I find nice nasty wavs and automate the crap outta em.

Hi guys sorry I’ve been gone for awhile life got in the way! :disappointed_relieved: I wanna get back into doing forum posts again like the good ol’ days of the original DSF. :alien: That being said I would like to help with this Topic.

Here is some tables for serum that can be useful in achieving a better and more solid approach to these droning/fm’d sounds:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v11k7jrdrx8p0pf/Serum%20Tables%20Vol.%201%20-%20Basic%20FM%20Tools.rar?dl=0

Also a drone/FM preset:

1 BigUp

No need to worry if u were gone for a “while”. Thanks for the help and we will hopefully keep this thread alive in the future :))

Thanks for the help Omega :smiley: