Kick and Snare Thread

yea, spot on. I don’t have any VST’s for drum processing that’s why -.- maybe I should. Superior drummer sounds rad though.

I love the 909 snare myself. Perfect amount of snappiness and heaviness. As for the Barely Alive sound, 100% you absolutely must volume shape your basses around the main kick and snare. They actually have a tutorial on it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWlXMzp7zMA

If you use FL, the grossbeat plugin can do this and it is absolutely essential to getting a hard hitting snare / kick combo.

1 BigUp

Hi,
I have recently get a pro advice about kick. It is about using a slight reverb.
Do you use that as well, what is the best setting for the reverb then ?
Here is an example of the the sounds for kicks and snare that i am trying to get :

Don’t have a clue to get that snare though.

make sure your reverbs only working on the high end of your kick, u don’t wanna make the bottom all flabby and muddy

I’ve written a bit about making snares, it’ll get you the barely alive snare if you invest enough time in it :smile: https://www.dubstepforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=285576&p=3639279#p3638302

thanks a ton man :smiley:

Don’t know at all how it sounds on other systems, but at least for now, I’m kinda happy with the kick & snare in this one.

https://soundcloud.com/ag_u

It’s drum & bass, but whatever

It depends on the effect you are going for however, I see how this will work in terms of having a cleaner mix.

I do use a slight reverb but also have used a vocoder for a little sizzle.

^ kind of along the same lines, I DL’d a splice project from some pro track…they had a redux on a trap snare. I haven’t tried it on a beefy dubstep snare but I wouldn’t have thought to put a redux on any snare. With really low settings, it adds a nice sizzle on the top end.

Thanks a lot. I’ll try that. I am going to use effect chain to extract the high end part of the kick and send it to the reverb. I’ll live the bottom part dry, lets say under 1000 Hz ?

Nice. I’ll try that too. Thanks.

I have been messing around with my snare more and more and I like where it is. If anyone is still trying to get some good snares what I did to get this one is I looked through a ton of different packs and found the snares I liked the best. Then I picked out the highs, mids, low mids, and lows from different snares that I liked and I processed them with izotope ozone and a ton of ableton live plugins. Once I had 4 different parts of a snare that I liked I put them together and then processed them all together.

The original track is SKisM - Experts (Barely Alive Remix) and then the second part is the track sidechained with my kick and snare https://clyp.it/by1qtesg

1 BigUp

OMG, i need that drums, make a tutorial! men, please!

Kick
Snare
Kick
Snare
Kick
Snare

It’s unbelievaboe

kick
kick, snare, snare
kick
kick, snare, snare

unmistakable

1 BigUp

hahah thanks a ton bro :smiley: hahha maybe I will make some someday haha But seriously all it takes is time. Just go through a ton of packs and pick your favorite drums and go from there. I have been working on my drums for about 6 months on and off and I think I finally got them where I want them. The most important thing now is putting them in my own track and mixing them properly.

I hope that tutorial, recommend me drum packs please, I just have the vengueance pack

yeah for sure bro

I like taking drums from all over the place. If you don’t like the ones in Vengeance or your just sick of people pointing you out for using a vengeance sample ahhaha use bits and pieces of them. Maybe do something like this, I like the mid range on VDUB2 Kick 003 and the high from VDUB2 Kick 051 and some of the high mids from VDUB2 Kick 039 and the sub from VDUB2 Kick 026. Just take all of those and put different effects on each one and see what you can do with them.

I like BHK drums and some of the drums from the total dubstep packs.

You can take a ton of different drums and make them sound good just keep practicing and use a ton of processing

Don’t you think you’re overcompensating a bit?