Kutkh Jackdaw - Sweat & Thunder [EBM / Industrial / Techno]

Not uploaded a track in a long time, but basically I got an old 80s synth last year and have been learning how to use that. Finally used it along with my old drum machine and made this 80s influenced EBM / industrial / techno type track. If you’ve been listening to my previous tracks, you’ll know they were more dubstep/bass influenced, but I’ve been slowly gravitating more towards this kinda stuff so it was only natural I started making stuff like it. Still got some of that post-punk vibe coming through though. Would be great to get some thoughts or feedback!

Some John Carpenter meets EBM vibes there. :bluethumb:

What 80s synth did you get?

Cheers mate!

Got a Yamaha SY77. Such a difficult synth to learn to programme, especially for my first one haha. FM synthesis and it’s all done through menus, no knobs!

After sitting on this for a few weeks and getting some feedback, I’m gonna go back and tweak some things in the mixdown.

If anyone has any thoughts or opinions on stuff that could be improved, now’s the time to let me know!

Found this guy randomly on Soundcloud and was feeling his stuff, so asked him to do a remix. More of a modern EBM techno take on the original.

I have a Korg Poly 800, same deal - synthesis through menu-only programming is insane but a good way to learn the ropes.

Remix sounds p good, would probably go off in an EBM club night!

You thought about a (if such a thing is possible) a subtle layer of tribal drums, like rolling floor toms?

Yeah I mean I think I kinda get the basics, but haven’t really spent enough time trying to properly get to grips with the programming. Really want to, it’s just finding the time. I’m worried that when I get a new synth, possibly after Christmas, that the SY77 will end up getting ignored…

I was actually considering getting a Korg DW-8000 at some point. Is it any way related to the Korg Poly 800 you have?

I have actually used some rolling drums on the track, although it’s very subtle. If you know my other tracks, I generally use quite a prominent drum loop sample as a major aspect of the track. But with this one, there is so much going on that the drum loop is very low in the mix so as not to overcrowd it. It’s the kinda thing that you might not notice, but when you remove it you notice it’s not there.

I’ve actually done a slightly updated mixdown of the original, so will upload that soon.

Cheers for the feedback guv!