Production Thoughts

Well I use reason 5 so I can’t rly tell u about the new one lmao

I assume it’s exactly the same but with more effects and synthase and with actual audio support

1 BigUp

Do you use any other DAWs for your tunes?
Isn’t there a bit of a limitation with it compared to Logic or Ableton?

It used to not support VST’s or audio.

I believe they have added that feature now. I don’t know how good it is though. I always used to just rewire it into Live but I haven’t used it since version 2.5.

1 BigUp

I just use reason

I use reaper or audacity to record but I don’t record much.

It’s limiting if u think it is but u can do anything u normally could in any other daw with it except edit audio effectively (so I do that in audacity)

reason is designed the way it is for a reason (lel)

its a bit limited in some ways but the stock stuff is really good and the virtual studio rack workflow definitely has major benefits compared to the spreadsheet like timeline editing focus of other daws

it makes fucking with the synths more dynamic and more like playing an instrument

Limitations can be your best friend.

(ʙʀɪɴɢ ʙᴀᴄᴋ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏɴᴇ-sᴀᴍᴘʟᴇ ᴄᴏᴍᴘᴇᴛɪᴛɪᴏɴs)

2 Likes

Start one…

That was great

@Dubstep_Warrior

u wot m8

length limitation

2 Likes

Going to spend a few day cleaning up my sample folders. Deleting, refining, reorganising, renaming.
I really don’t think I need 600 hihats.

Also, resampling vs. resampling
Resampling = downgrading the bit quality of a sample to make it sound analog-ey, fuzzy, gritty…
Resampling = adding fx to a sample then “recording” it as a new track to then add more fx. Kind of like bouncing down and reimporting the bounced wav - saves your CPU overworking I guess?

That right?
Why are they both called the same thing? It is confusing to me.

Yea it’s kind of confusing that people refer to the second process as resampling.
I just call that printing or bouncing down. The first one isn’t necessarily about downgrading though. You can also upsample in audio although it doesn’t make much sense to do so in music production. In audio, a digital signal just consists of a certain amount of samples per second at a specific bit depth. The numbers can be changed within the digital domain, which is referred to as transcoding.

As always, it all has a lot in common with statistics. In research people do resampling to
get a more accurate result from the collected dataset.

re: the sample folders. I never download samples anymore. I got like 12gb of various wav samples from a guy at school in 2013 and I personally don’t see the advantage of finding more. I arrive at most of my sounds through basic synthesis or not exactly basic processing :badteeth: Sometimes I’ll record stuff from any other sound source on my computer or simply with a mic.

Taking a rec, tape or aux out from your mixer straight back into an input of your interface is
a gift for sampling (and resampling/bouncing of course).

1 BigUp

So if you want to downgrade a sample, why would you resample as opposed to using a vst?

I’ve come to realise that more samples = less creativity for me personally. I have too much choice. Typical new producer syndrome, get excited about all the free sample packs and end up with bloated folders of useless samples.
I want to strip it right back and have no more than say 30 of any 1 type of sample (kick, snare, clap etc)
Obvs it’s more beneficial to have a higher number of synth or fx samples. But for drums I think I need a few choice samples as opposed to 200 kicks that I can never choose from.

to stop tweaking the vst indefinitely and ease of future use in projects and saving resources

2 Likes

probably the best execution of this I’ve seen

2 Likes

Edit. Weak post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu_gDQCnUaa/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=7heki01u3mk5

2 Likes

Very awesome.
I really want to get one of those field recorder things you see everywhere now so that I can record shit like this for my noise project.

I have a question, so I have some chords put down. But now I wan to add a lead to my song. How do I know what notes to put down?

Example

: