Production Thoughts

I don’t use it on bass usually but I use one often on a parallel bus and run drums and other stuff through. Just to layer behind the dry signals.

Vocoders are fun

1 BigUp

I put a vocoder on my synths somethimes with a Foley sample as the modulator signal so u get weird fluttery sounds

I way this but haven’t done for a while

this dude is sick but it’s really bothering me that he has his snare drum with the snares off

I set myself a sound design challenge recently, I’m trying to make an entire tune just out of a single sample, a field recording of some wind. So far I’ve been able to make a kick, snare, 2 hats, percussion, dub-techno stab, sub bass, 303 style acid lead, a pad and some white noisey fx thing, it’s only a 16 bar loop at the moment but it slyly bangs already, will post results soon

Anyone that’s reading this, set yourself a sound design challenge that seems like it will be too difficult to accomplish and I promise it will get the creative juices flowing in a different way

4 Likes

We should bring back wub’s old applied minimalism contests : I think that’s what they were called at least)

3 Likes

I second this motion

1 BigUp

Thirded.

I’d be up for that

(burp) AYE. :salute:

I’m in!

Still in very early stages at the moment and with basically no mixdown work done at all, but this is the track. The first 8 bars are the raw sample that I was working with and every single element in the track has been made from that sample

5 Likes

If there isn’t, there should be a simple grid sampler+sequencer type phone app that lets you:

A) import your own drum samples and loops

B) export midi data and get it in your daw easily

For jamming out an idea when you’re on the bus and inspiration strikes etc. Explicitly not some kinda bait mini DAW but just to drum out patterns for later use

1 BigUp

There are.

What platform, iOS or Android?

A lot of iOS music apps link to and/or export Ableton Live sets.

Anybody know anything about finding out what key a vocal is in? eg. I want a lead that follows a vocals pitch.

Imo you can go about it several ways:

Look up song-name +key on google i.e

Load up a simple synth and try to play over the vocal, finding out what keys/notes that fall in key.

the hard way: convert audio to midi and then either look at what notes it spits out, or chuck it into another plugin like Scaler

Any recommendation for something like Harkat mentioned, with a no hassle dropbox integration, for iOS?
Edit: how do I merge posts?

1 BigUp

I have tried that before, a little tedious…

how

What DAW are you in? In Ableton it’s as easy as right-clicking the audio file and selecting “convert to midi”

oooh, this?