Production Thoughts

i used to have a note list on my old nokia that used to say things like: “add maracas and pitched down tamourines rasclart”.

id go home and read em and be like wtf?

3 Likes

Well I try and add some context haha
And when i hear something cool in a tune i just note it down “this sound at 3.42”

Like epiphanies on drugs lol

:sunflower: ))) :musical_note: :smashedlol:

Is there some any thread where we could post tracks for feedback?

1 BigUp

:hooray:

:lol_og: :confused_og:

2 Likes

I really dislike dongles and refuse to use them. I mistakenly bought a Lexicon reverb last November that requires a hardware iLok. I mistakenly thought I could just the the software iLok like I can with Soundtoys plugins but I was wrong. Now it is just sitting there doing nothing and $50 wasted.

In the meantime I bought an Eventide reverb that uses the software iLok and therefore gets used. Sorry Lexicon, you lost out.

I’m liking the sound of the Oberheim SEM synth. Alas, I only have the plugin recreation but I’m liking it nonetheless.

how to make that sub/kick with a lot of high frequency stuff on it? lol hard to explain, sounds like analog(?) so it’s probably a drum machine or something? in a loads of stuff but here’s an example

sounds like ring modulation, with loads of crunchy tube distortion

1 BigUp

Random fact: Tom oberheim is basically my next door neighbor hehe.

My friend just copped that synth though and it’s probably my fav synth of all time now after mucking about with it. So many ‘sweet spots’.

What software emulation are you using, would be interested to try it out myself

3 Likes

I’m using the Arturia SEM V. It is sounding good!

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/oberheim-sem-v

What @swerver said - I think maybe bitcrush and ring mod.

^bitcrushing combined with resampling was what I was thinking too.

@hubb sent me down the rabbit hole by posting a link to a freeware plug… the developer happens to be someone rated very highly in the plug community and he has a shit ton of awesome free tools for both Mac and Windows. (airwindows.com) …His Console4 is very highly rated.

Anyway…

I’d never thought of using a transient shaper to suppress peaks instead of accentuate them, but that’s what tape did essentially - squash the transient bursts. Totally new idea for me.

3 Likes

Whosampled is sent by the gods to us measly humans…

a good example of what you are saying is the drop imo

what was essentially just a groove point ‘musically’ becomes an alarm for people that want to trainspot in an exchange instead of simply listening - yet they do ‘feel’ music adress that happening though which is interesting.

its sort of wittgensteinian lingual games innit

Wittgenstein’s remarks on “Games and Definitions” could be
applied to aesthetics. The nature of art is like that of the nature of
games. If we look carefully and see what it is that we called ‘art’ we
will find no common properties but discern strands of similarities.
Knowing what art is not discovering some manifest or latent essence
but being able to recognize, describe and explain those things we
call art by virtue of these similarities.

captain hubvious but maybe some of the boys havent got into wittgenman yet :blazing:

1 BigUp

In Ableton, is there any way to filter an incoming note signal from a different midi channel running Ctulhu, so that I can “extract” the lowest note of the chord being played?
Haven’t looked into M4L solutions yet tbf.

This thread is for general questions with music production. :grinning:

Users may post any inquiry they need in relation to production here. :grin:

The goal is for answers with replies. :innocent:

So please, ask away & answer any one’s questions that you know the answer! :rofl:

Here’s a great one:

Is it legal to use soundclips from movies/video games in songs? :robot:

Can the artist use plug-ins or other methods to distort the sounds far past identification? :id:

In other words, is there any way the industry can catch people who hide sounds under effects?:eyes:

What is the probability of getting caught for this, as well as the possible penalty? :ear:

Thank you for everything!

:heart:
:alien:
:pray:

:peace_symbol: