Production Thoughts

yeah im excited, I had to force myself to not even power it on tonight or i’d be up all night learning the ting

also excited about changing other old modules around on the rack, I spent a long time moving things around and trying to think about workflow which led to some new patch ideas, think it will be fun exploring some new ideas with the ‘new’ set-up

let’s discuss what kind of production methods do you guys think are applied to the modern, experimental side of electronic music today? or as it is known on here, Brut™

it’s interesting, because more often than not there’s a certain, fresh DIY aesthetic to the whole scene, ie not a lot of it is released on vinyl but mostly as soundcloud/bandcamp downloads, dj’s don’t appear to boast with extensive knowledge of music mut are more focused on their own stuff or that of their peers… very hard to explain what I mean. I was just wondering, do they use hardware? or how do you get those really raw, percussive, noisey sounds that don’t sound like any software synth or drum samples

of course there is also the stuff that’s basically just a more distorted, brutal version of ballroom/jersey/grime/reggaeton but I can imagine how you make those. Im more interested in the experimental “power ambient” and noise side

2 Likes

Just spend two days to clean my “studio” and my upstairs bedroom, I’m so happy now because the rooms got so cluttered with mess and got dirty after spending 2 weeks on the seaside. I’m suprised just how much the clean enviroment gives me a productive boost. Just have to go downtown, but when I return, can’t wait to work on some music. :smiley:

1 BigUp

whos technical now that you listen to that blow you away though?

feel like anything worthy for years has been going against that clean bs

even a guy like zaythoven is software and then some desk colouring … i just cant think of an artist that would fit that

(guess i side technical with clean sounding which is incorrect)

I think I’ve been listening to a lot of modern experimental music but I’ve never heard of Brut?

1 BigUp

Dūt… Get Brut. :space_invader:

1 BigUp

i dont trust a genre axed doesnt know about

3 Likes

The stuff that I heard sounds like tape music producers doing industrial or noise.
There’s a lot of reverb for a style of music with a name like brut :badteeth:

Just use a bitcrusher for changing sample rate of individual channels/parts. Good for making busy hi end elements stand out from each other imo.

the less bullshit you gotta do with converting and dragging shit around outside the daw the better

typically dismissive of you lol

brut is just a tongue in cheek name Ronzlo made up to unify a certain style of post-club/deconstructed club stuff that was blowing up a few years back i.e Wwwings, 111x, Rabit, Dedekind Cut etc

3 Likes

it’s cool that you just namedropped 111x

also seeing you edit that post live was vibes

1 BigUp

I dont think most of them use any hardware at all.

I’ve heard some very modular sounding stuff from FIS in terms of sound design

You should post up an example here of the sort of tune youre asking about

1 BigUp

cba that would be too specific. harkat might be on the right track, maybe it’s just really bitcrushed normal samples that are chopped in percussive patterns. but ambient elements are also very common and that’s difficult for me to figure out, like how do you make ambient with a grid and point and click.

ya defo, all sorts of distortion effects and mid/side techniques as well

and always gotta remember, since the genre is typically super sample heavy, they might be using samples from hardware or hardware signal chains

the ambient stuff should probably be played out on some keys or programmed generatively

1 BigUp

Need to get more Howl sets up so people can drink in the glory of de Brut.

1 BigUp

Man, she didn’t even record the last one. She says she has no hdd space and I was like fuck I’ll send you an external hdd for free for future use. She said no tho haha

1 BigUp

Dude! That makes me so sad. We might have to just start ripping the streams.

It’s a strange (sub?) genre. It’s seems like it doesn’t matter what parent-genre your track aligns with, if it’s lo-fi & industrial/noise influenced, then it becomes Brut/Madshit/Ruffian etc? (Kinda what we did with Moop haha)

But then there’s tracks I’ve listened to that are just straight up noise/powernoise.
Or tracks that sound like what has been coming out on Ad Noiseam, or Ant-Zen, or Planet Mu for years and years.Or some of it just sounds like off-grid dubstep. Why’s it need another name? Brut is the dumbest name I ever heard.

I don’t know if I’m having a moan or what my point is really. I had one and now I’ve lost it.

idk man, just leave it be then?

hardly like anyone’s forcing the music or the moniker on ya haha

not sure where the lo-fi references are coming from tho, most of the stuff i’d consider in the genre is extremely digital and clinical sounding.

2 Likes

No I like the music. Just Brut is a silly name.

I think I meant distorted rather than lo-fi. Lots of noise, static and rumbles.