Production Thoughts

Anybody else mess around with sample delay plugins to get everything super tight or put a bit of groove on stuff? I feel like I’ve been missing this trick for so long and my beats always felt too ‘loose’ . This feels like the audio equivalent of getting a spanner on the bolts.

In a good way though, like it isn’t just making everything so robotic and to the grid but making it feel ‘right’

like how … do you then cut bits out afterwards ?

No cutting. An example…

I have a hi hat and a kick drum, I want the hi-hat to come slightly ahead of the kick to give a sense of urgency and “rush” so I delay the kick by x amount of samples /ms

I now add the piano which hits on the beat. Now it’s quite a relaxing bit of piano so I want it to fall behind the beat a bit, I now add a bit of delay to the piano.

I now have the hat arriving first, then the kick, then the piano last.

1 BigUp

ahh that makes sense

similar to just turning quantisation off in an audiolane though
but if the delay you are using has a nice interface then why not use that etc

Yes quantize is another way of getting something a bit more fluid. the reason I prefer this to switching off quantize and dragging around is you can still make sure things are exactly where they need to be (e.g a 4x4 kick).

1 BigUp

sure

you could probably make the daw you are working in have an extra button you press and hold so it either locks q or turn it off while you click around with the mouse

just a thought

any experts on reaper know how you set up recording so that it starts after a volume threshold has been passed?
I’m trynna record stuff off the digitakt but without my interface having midi input/output theres no clock to sync to. and even though thats cool, and old school I want them to sound as much as they do on the device. and im rubish with reaper, really rubbish.

cheers in advance

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=103819

Older post. Looks slightly involved there.

1 BigUp

sick! ill try this now!

"Now every time the gate opens, it sends a MIDI note which is routed back to Reaper’s control path, which means that you can use that note to trigger actions.

Go to Actions -> Show action list… and use the filter to find “Transport: Record”.

Click Add… in the down left corner and trigger the gate so it sends the note into Reaper. It is now learned to trigger that action every time the gate opens. "

what does it mean by trigger the gate. at the add box it wont let me go any further till Ive inputted a key for the action. it says to trigger gate, which I assume is press play on the digitakt, which I’ve done, but nothing.

puzoozled

edit: aight apparently Ive got to enable a midi output signal while the channel is live.

edits: now every time I click action:transport record it starts the recording without waiting for a trigger to learn. think im gonna give up for a bit :hmm:

Definitely float this on the Reaper forum (linking the thread above). They’re usually more than happy to help.

1 BigUp

had a ton of fun tonight recording some jams to tape from my microkorg and some guitar pedals, I really need to get like a kitchen timer or something tho, noodling too much. Thought I had nice 6-7 minute progression at one point, check the recording; its 20 minutes long. Should be fun to chop apart later tho at least.

The microkorg is one of the most haggard and fun synths I’ve ever played with.

https://soundcloud.com/cyclopianarchitects/glacier-lone

2 Likes

there was a video on here of a dude producing dub at a desk i found very inspiring. anyone know which one it is? i’ve seen it posted a few times.

cheers and thanks in advance :slight_smile:

welp! I’m sure one of the ninjas know…

I’d be curious about that as well. I miss those days of doing dub style mixdowns with a hardware mixing board.

I’m trying to set up my MIDI controllers to do something similar.

2 Likes

Drops in newer songs have been bothering me lately. Seems like every song now has a cinematic opening and then just goes into a drop that has nothing to do with the intro but is “heavy”. Then there’s more random bits before the drop again.

Just feels like such a lame way to make music. But I guess it kind of makes sense. That way you can just make bits of music and smash em together. Also in the age of the drop it kind of puts a lot less emphasis on the rest of your song. Most people only care about the drop when listening and a lot of mixers/DJs only mix drop into drop essentially.

Idk though, maybe it’s because my favorite songs have always been ones that add more and more until the end

1 BigUp

reckon it’s got something to do with the huge change to software production. With hardware, it’s only natural to do a long jam, slowly building up. With a DAW, you can line up everything and just drop all 26 basslines at the same time

1 BigUp

The way I see it, the intro is there to enhance the drop through whatever means. As long as it builds the right amount of anticipation for the drop then it’s done it’s job. (e.g small builds for smaller drops and epic builds for giant drops)

But yes the way you’re describing it, it seems people are missing the point entirely. Writing big drops and then just slapping whatever in for the first 32 bars to “fill the time” or just for a DJ to count into. If that’s what you’re going to do then you may as well put 32 bars of metronome click!

1 BigUp

Ahhh don tell everyone my ideas

2 Likes