Production Thoughts

exactly

’’’’’’’’’’'rant strong weed****
but its the pitch algorithm that sounds bad

the ability to interpret a non musical sound and use that without pitching it (just knowing its in a specific tuning/could belong in a certain scale)

is some deep voodoo shit lol

because i think youd have to be a crazy instrument tuner guy to call the same cases as the program

i feel melodyne is a weid extension of the human mind in that, tuning is conceptual/ human - but then is everywhere because of math
(in the sense that this bee sample is buzz pitching @ a# minus 12 cents and so on)

its a weird door for me, into thinking anything already IS in harmony

especially if you built a new scale around the sample that was slightly off in tuning

–just using it backwards –

1 BigUp

Cheers guys this is all very helpful.
I’m cutting my break up manually leaving in all the bits between the hits. And sometimes cutting those bits out as imdividual hits too.
Drum sampler next to construct the beat…

1 BigUp

One important thing that hasn’t been mentioned is timestretching. This was an important technique in the evolution of chopping drums.

So say you have a funk break at 90 BPM. It is going sound weird played at 170 BPM all pitched up. Timestretching the break to the correct target BPM is how we would get around that.

1 BigUp

I’ve used time stretching before. You can pull out your sample in Reaper and it stretches it without affecting pitch.
Or would it be better to use a dedicated time stretch vst?

That sounds like it would work. I used do it directly in a hardware sampler but now I use Ableton which has timestretching built in. It is a bit of a different technique in Ableton actually.

As far as the breaks, what we used to do with hardware samplers is load the break and then start creating zones.
In each of these zones would be a copy of the break and you would start chopping each one up, like chop from a kick, chop from a snare etc and leave the breakage (tail).

Each zone would be assigned to its own MIDI note(s) that wouldn’t overlap with the other zones. That way the breakage would have its own key on the keyboard that you could play.

That was the way I did it on hardware samplers and transferred the technique to software samplers. @hubb mentioned working with audio, I prefer to work with MIDI. You can bounce it down to audio once you’ve programmed the drums.

There are many ways to go about it and no right way. It just depends on how you like to work.

if you want to use RS5k you can set up multiple instances on one track and then modify the note start/end (what notes trigger the sample) within each instance.
The plus is that you can easily drag audio from within reaper into the project (also you don’t need to export stuff - right click>render as a new take or apply track fx to item) and you’ll have separate adsr control over each hit.

but it’s a bit clumsy

otherwise look for a 3rd party sampler vst

1 BigUp

Finally getting down to getting custom samples / drumkits, something I’ve been waning off for a while because I made the excuse to be “creative” as possible with the basic stuff that comes with the producer edition of Fruity Loops.

Hey, this sampler looks pretty cool with its feature set. I have downloaded this before but never got around to installing it.

https://www.tx16wx.com/

I see that @cyclopian already linked it.

1 BigUp

Can you use a midi keyboard to trigger sounds in a web based synth and then record that to Reaper?

I ask because that is what I’ve done but I cannot hear any audio on playback. I can see the notes, open the piano roll, move them around, but no sound.

Ive got an M-Audio Keystation E hooked up to my MacBookPro running Reaper.
The M-AKE is triggering a synth on this site.
I’m recording the audio in Reaper as I play. It saves it as a MIDI file but there’s no audio on playback.

I’ve set Reaper up in what seems like a logical manner (see below) however I’m sure there’s something REALLY simple that I’m missing or I don’t know yet…

Sorry if it seems like I’m spamming this thread but watching videos and reading tutorials only gets you so far. I would rather just ask a direct question to learn the one thing I’m trying to do :slight_smile:

Record Input is set to MIDI

Input is the M-AKE on channel 1

Piano Roll is set to channel 1

It looks like you are just recording your MIDI input as you stated.

I would make a patch and download it and then import it into Reaper.

Or else there is probably some convoluted audio routing that needs to happen.

I know with my soundcard when I have Ableton open, it takes over all of the audio so I can’t record something from the web.

You could try recording it into Audacity as well.

1 BigUp

I’ll have a read up about them

Audacity saves the day again. I wish they’d make their filters/effect non-destructive

Edit. It’s something to do with the web synth. I’m recording MIDI using the ReaSynth from inside Reaper.
Time to get some synth VSTs

There are plenty of free ones.

It just clicked :grin:
I got this.

SAMPLE

https://twitter.com/itsfrombowser/status/975569836226031619

Mixed some cool funk and disco records today for 2hrs, I wish I recorded it, time to search for some wav rips :slight_smile:

1 BigUp

Playing around with MIDI keyboard and a sine.
Really want this to go somewhere but I got nothing…

Needs more donk!

2 Likes

(turn CC on)

11 minute cut of a 3 hour Bollywood Nightmare on Elm St remake

(gonna try to download the full ting for sampling purposes; some of those lead synths are too fuckin much b2b the rest of the audio)

@Jizz you heard of the ‘Ramsey brothers’ before? Was reading they introduced gore and horror to ‘bollywood’ flicks. Lets make a track with some Ramsey vibes haha

No, I had no idea. This is great though. Yeah lets do it

1 BigUp