RAP 2027.

2 Likes

this beat is insane

Saw Drain Gang live in LA last week. Definitely the most intense concert I’ve been to lol. Probably gonna do a writing on it some time.

been stuck in my head since I first heard it recently, I’m late to it but wasn’t really aware of the Quasimoto project

edit: maybe this should be in the hip hop thread lol I forgot they were 2 diff things

4 Likes

Yessir Whatever is a classic man.

3 Likes

I’m writing a project on Lil Bs influence in culture. If anyone has some insight or some thoughts it would be appreciated. Like what do YOU think BASED means? Connotations etc. What he meant BASED meant and now what alt right bastards has appropriated it to mean etc. Anything has interest really.

isn’t it the same thing though? just which things are based can be different ofc

@Phigure

It’s a term that resonates way beyond anything “alt right appropriation” can besmirch

It gained very wide usage around the time when the alt right had a cultural grip on the meme making factory 4chan so like Pepe the frog it got associated with them but that’s just a silly footnote rly.

Everyone who does politics-posting uses it now, and there’s a more universal recognition for what it means - the debate is over which particular type of politics is “based” not about wether to be based is good - left or right, people agree that being based is good

It basically means that you have the power to disregard whatever “the man” or globo homo or the capitalist class or whatever hegemonic force is telling you.

3 Likes

I thought of it as sort of: Based= the ability to live up to a self-invented ideal. But I guess that is sort of the same ‘agency’ as denying the man.

Nice one.

1 BigUp

I always imagined Based to be some sort of Tyler Durden-esque attempt to live entirely within ones own construct, in which societal norms, the government, rules, etc can all be damned to hell.

2 Likes

originally it was calling someone a crackhead (freeBASE), goofy ass lil b got tired of being called based so he did the whole “appropriate the word and make it positive” thing. kinda like when he did the “im gay” album a few years later

3 Likes

and now hes been sublimed into a post beef, well meaning, anti-cult, fan reposting - digital spirit?

1 BigUp

:eyes:

Old man emo rap. Same beat maker as Pete & Bas.

2 Likes

He’s been on a few P&B tracks
Sick track

1 BigUp

Young Thug and Gunna hit with a RICO charge. Looks like they’ll be going away for a long time if convicted.

1 BigUp