just realized there is an @ everyone. tempted

see your point though

lets just start something, anything

The abuse potential boggles the mind… :shining:

its a tune i made with i think samples from those videos you linked

or atleast some attenburrough bird thing from like 4 years ago or something

so random

1 BigUp

handoff could be like with drawings where you only get to see part of the drawing you’re adding too

but instead only get to listen to the last 8 bars of what the m8 did before your turn ?

2 Likes

up for that

1 BigUp

Who be di mod[s] fi Production?

We should try and coordinate the handful of healthy comps running right now so there’s no overlap (100 bpm, DSF, the various genre ones… but not incl. Tuna, which is its own thing and rightfully so).

Yeah we need one of these every week (but no more than one)
Or every two weeks I guess

If I had muh druthers I’d say 2 weeks but would settle for 10 days. 3x a month is reasonable. Enough that someone could do all of 'em or only one as schedule permitted.

:timer: :calendar_spiral: :thinking: :hourglass_flowing_sand: :compression:

That sounds pretty good.

just hit me up with ideas and i’ll help run the ting if people are down, for the most part its not like you really need a mod to run a comp yourself anyways, but if you need help lmk

y’all know the story of brian eno composing the windows 95 startup sound right?

The thing from the agency said, “We want a piece of music that is inspiring, universal, blah-blah, da-da-da, optimistic, futuristic, sentimental, emotional,” this whole list of adjectives, and then at the bottom it said “and it must be 3.25 seconds long.”

how about a make a “song” that is < n seconds long for a competition idea?
added benefit: people might actually listen to all the entries in their entirety

1 BigUp

Yeah we need stuff like this. I feel like the point of these comps is to throw people out of their comfort zone and the straight up sample pack comps just don’t do that for most of us. I mean there’s normally like 2-3 really good “normal” songs that it’s between while everyone else tries to do something weird (no offense to the normal songs… they’re great I’m just saying). Like the 100bpm was cool cuz most people hadn’t made a song in that BPM.

Experimental you say? Count me in!

Not exactly a sample pack comp but what if there was one sample (think like a jazz rif) and you can’t change anything about it and everyone has to build a beat for it

You can use whatever percussion you want and you can make the bass but that sample has to be prominent

2 Likes

seems like a cool idea

Recently I’ve been using the built in sampler on Logic to make some synths(?) At least I guess I’d call them that, I’ve basically been recording things that are putting out one main note/frequency for example just whistling into the mic or running a finger around the top of the wine glass, I find if I play some chords on my keyboard and have the notes ran though the sampler you can get some really interesting sounds. Just wondering if any of you have any suggestions for noises I could record to then play some chords through?

An example of the kind of nosies I’ve been making are in the tune below, The pad in this one was made by whistling into the mic, chopping the high end off and adding some reverb then playing some chords though the sampler using the recorded noise.

https://soundcloud.com/harry-griffiths-11/02a/s-LA8Fk

But yeah any suggestions would be sick!

:cornlol:
Sample competition ideas, not shameless self promo, Harry.

1 BigUp

Here’s an interesting one. As a 14 year old I’m rather limited on how much I can spend on this stuff, so I make most of my sounds in free apps (ew!:mask:) so why not make it a challenge. See who can make the best sound with the free, provided sounds on an app like garage band or musicmakerjam. Check my soundcloud SteelGraph to see the basic stuff you’re capable of with this.

I see it very unlikely, that people would move back to a freebie platform if they have a paid DAW…