System/ V.I.V.E.K

Is it a 180g plate at least? Seen some people saying it’s been pressed lighter?

not sure tbh, it’s defo not a flimsy lightweight but will compare the repress and the original tonight

never quite understood the 180g fetishism. anyone care to explain?

More for your money I suppose :badteeth: Nicer feel to them on the decks for me, and just physically more robust/resistant to any probs that might come about during storage. I have a few lighter records that produce this weird resonant hum while I’m cueing them, doesn’t occur with the heavier ones. Been meaning to look into that actually.

probably the center hole of the record rubbing against the nipple thing (technical term). i got that all the time with flimsy hip hop records when i was using slipmats which were too slippy or not slippy enough, can’t remember which.

1 BigUp

They’re heavier though, which brings its own disadvantages - especially when moving them between places. :wink: And are they more resistant? Or is it just us thinking so because we’re taught heavy = high quality? I remember a mastering engineer - I don’t remember who though, I think it may have been Becker or Erler or some other bloke from D&M - mentioning in an interview that 180g vinyl brings no advantages to sonic quality; the bass won’t go deeper etc. despite dubstep folks repeating that mantra for years on end.

isn’t there something about grooves being deeper = better sound definition?

(could be wrong tho, just vaguely remember reading something on this tip years ago)

but the grooves are vertical, so more depth shouldn’t add anything after a certain threshold has been achieved. and you can master records loud as fuck on 140g easily (judging by my records at least).

180g records are just probably more durable against warping

tbf it’s always nice whipping out a 180g plate, has this nice weight to it

edit - anyone reaching august session?

Nice one, my slipmats are fairly old so I’d imagine the latter. And yeah hip-hop records are a nightmare for it haha

I did assume that for a while until I read that it was rubbish, anything above 100g or so and there’s no difference. There is the heavy = high quality thing in my mind, and the physical side of it is why I like records so that’ll always be a plus. The trade off with portability is one I don’t mind suffering

I’m not the only one to observe that they actually warp more easily.

Always known that 180g records don’t have better sound quality but I’m pretty sure they’re more durable / resistant against the regular wear and tear of playing them out. Some of my 180g records are heavily warped though.

Really hope for another Smear Dub repress in the future.

Yeah Goth Trad’s been using these super thin vinyl-dubplates that are 1 or 2 mm thick, and speaking with him he loves the sound from them, so perhaps the benefits of the 180g for sound/weight is pure conjecture

This is the extent of my smear dub repress warpage. Cueing is impossible :corncry:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24924187/warped_smear_dub.mp4

2 Likes

they look cool, same price as a normal 10" by the look of it, i bet delivery bumps it up though

£10 postage worldwide, would be the Import tax that does you over if anything.

next time im feeling flush i might give it a go

Wow that is bad.
Hope they repress again :razz:

2 Likes