The current state of dubplate culture (Youngsta, Kahn and V.I.V.E.K interview)

Nuff Wheel Ups: Exploring Dubplate Culture

Does digital represent the death of the dubplate?

“There’s a bit of mystery to it all, which I think is appealing to people,” says Kahn, a Bristol-based DJ and producer whose music – spanning dancehall, dub reggae, grime and dubstep – is firmly rooted in soundsystem culture. “One of the best things I find in a dance is when you hear something you know isn’t released and only the people in the room will be experiencing. It’s exciting.”

Like so many innovations, dubplate culture and the excitement and fascination that surrounds it was largely born out of necessity. “From a purely physical perspective, it’s hard to see how sound system culture could have ever arisen without the ability to cut dubs,” says Bainbridge. “For many decades it was the only way to get material fresher than the commercially-released fodder out from the studio and into the air in a timely manner.”

Includes Kahn mix;

Tracklisting:Skream - Dutch Flowers
Footsie & Dj Tubby - Morbid
Skream - Tapped
Pinch - Punisher
Kromestar - Surgery
DQ1 - Wear the Crown
Distance - Temptation
Skream - Morning Blues
Skream - Bahl Fwd
Atki2 - Guilty Pleasures (Pinch remix)
Cutty Ranks - Limb by Limb (Acapella)
Loefah - Mud
Caspa - Cockney Flute
Skream - Skunkstep
Skream - Warning (D1 Remix)
Digital Mystikz - Walkin’ With Jah
Skepta - Duppy
Emalkay - Bats In The Belfry
Drop The Lime - Bricks

And VIVEK boileroom mix;

Related;

Grime DJ Score5ive mix his most prized dubplates

Following exclusives-packed sessions with Slimzee and Spooky, another lifelong grime obsessive has treated us to a dig through his most prized dubplates. Score5ive has been DJing on pirate radio stations across London for over a decade now, alongside legendary MCs like Wiley, Flowdan and Riko Dan to name a few. He runs his own label, Reloadz, and recently returned to the airwaves with a monthly show on Radar Radio. But most importantly, his dubplate collection is totally bonkers.

Known for having some of the most sought-after tunes in the game, Score5ive cuts fresh dubplates every month. A couple weeks ago we met him at East London’s Pyro FM to record an exclusive set of his most prized dubs, including a Riko Dan special, a Kahn and Neek remix owned by just two DJs – Score and Mumdance – and his very own Roachee dub taken from a classic episode of grime DVD series Risky Roadz.

Tracklist:

Riko Dan – ‘Ice Master’ (Score5ive Dub)
D.O.K – ‘Get Me’ Remix
Roachee – ‘Score5ive’s Biscuit Dub’
Filthy Gears – ‘Auto Crud’
Noble – ‘Warning Shots’
Sh?m – ‘Drunken Master’
Jook – ‘Shotgun VIP’
Youngstar – ‘Bongo’ Kahn and Need Remix
Rocks – ‘S.U.B’ (Score5ive Dub)
Gundam – ‘Score5ive Mashup’

Shouts to the man like @Jook