The Gender Gap in Music

It doesn’t matter in that it always takes a weirdo to get through

but yeah more Bjørks and Ndegeocellos for lil chicks to look up to could be good

Grimes is coming out with new music

is it all like that though?

1 BigUp

What happened just then…
Am I under attitude correction…?

You europeans swear by your angel nature….

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities,
against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world,
against spiritual wickedness in high places.

….Blaine Angel……43

1 BigUp

What age, if ever, should I show my daughter Pretty in Pink?

I don’t know…12 maybe

…just before she hits High School….

I was dreaming of working in a record store at 9 or 10 years…

I’ve never worked in a record store.

Grew up in South Jersey, in the Pine Barrens, a feral child alone with the cicadas and the heat, at about 7 or 8 I told my moms I’d go to UCLA and make sound effects.

2/2

where did your post go…

my nature aint european or angelic sistah, but it LUVS U

turn those tables, represent

I thought you were born in San Jose, I have a friend that’s born there and lives there. Cool city but I like the forests and stuff her.

Didn’t youmove to Colorado or somewhere around there? I’ve never moved or agent to college, its all good

Hells of no. Was born somewhere in the pac northwest, but grew up east coast.

In SJ I lived where it turned rural, horse ranches and fields. But nothing like this.

I’d have moved to Oregon, I love the trees and the moisture, but for the accumulating fascists there.

I thought there was a bunch of girl DJs, you don’t see many girls in metal. Babymetal is the only on I know of lol

Which part of the second part of my post are you saying is untrue as I cover a number of points? That the gender gap is an artificial construct? Or my statement that there are fewer hangups about women training to be scientists and engineers in the East? Or that it might be more difficult for women in the East to rise to senior positions?

All of the above statements are based on my experiences growing up in Malaysia (till after A-levels) followed by living in the UK for the past 20 years studying and working in science and engineering. Perhaps you might have a more valid viewpoint, but this is certainly a personal one, not as an observer looking in. Maybe I’ve lived an oddly skewed life.

@lovelydivot I don’t see why the dynamic between a man and a woman has to be different from when it’s between two men or two women, especially in a professional setting whether it’s in music, science, banking, computing or whatever. I certainly don’t treat women differently from men when I’m at work or at play (apart perhaps from occasionally helping them lift things). As an observer, however, I do notice that both men AND women have a tendency to play towards the stereotypes they have grown up with. In women it seems generally to manifest as a tendency towards meekness/reticence/lack of confidence (especially in a male-dominated environment) whereas in men it’s more often a denigrating (even if jokily) attitude towards women that’s fairly crass or even downright insulting. I have been lucky enough to mostly have worked with women who’ve bucked the trend.

2 Likes

Just the number, (you’re viewpoint is ofcourse way more valid). There are still more women entering those fields in the west (unfortunately). I definitely agree about the rest, aswell as the bit about having hang ups.

I’ve hung out in a kuala lumpur one afternoon in transit from borneo would love to go again sometime

dont know if divot responds to quotes btw lol - just saying

slighty related to what kay was sayin, its annoying when you put female and male comedians in a room/on a screen/on a radio show and the dynamic of the conversation always falls into the same old “guy telling cheeky jokes to chick, chick giggles along”. Like ffs you’re supposed to be a comedian too, but oftentimes the female comedian in the room may as well be any woman.

This even happens with female comedians who on their own are pretty funny.

1 BigUp

I think what you are saying is the opposite of for example lapkus, chelsea or sarah silverman being a guest tbf fx

and there’s a lot of male comedians that hav a vibe that is to basicly threaten their audience with like chauvanist bravado but where the reception is still somewhat flirting and expected to be like that

have to be able to joke about everything etc

also that they are all fucked up people travelling around fucking randos in motels (probably) :hankey:

1 BigUp

yes v true, hate that shit, mad obnoxious

like I said its a general dynamic, cant purely point fingers at the ladies for stepping back or the dudes for tryna be flirty and bravado. It’s shit tho, annoying to listen to.

1 BigUp

yeah no doubt, but it’s more just evidence of interaction than say gender right?

It must be tougher, essentially, for a woman to focus out of being fuckable at all times, whereas even being a dick dick is still fuckable for a lot of women - - - so the imballance should be excused until they get a footing

tbh Im a little more annoyed with someone like amy schumer who is definitely a kind of funny but cant talk about anything outside of the idea of a percieved attractiveness level