The Gender Gap in Music

agree that we need more female djs tho

1 BigUp

i wonder why :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Im with all of that and nice one.

I guess you got my point by saying representation and that yeah america is different. To the point of america needing change where the uk doesn’t really.

It’s not just about employment, but about having a natural representation of everybody in society. But I agree on the specific basis you’re talking about.

First I don’t think gender should matter and using gender to get ahead is pretty sad (like that pic above). Personally I think it comes down to several things: none of the girls I know really listen to electronic music. My girlfriend likes some drum and bass and dubstep but mostly rock and such. Others I know don’t listen to electronic at all (besides straight up dance). Ive personally wanted to make music for a long time but never knew how until my girlfriend showed me FLStudio. She had messed around a bit but was never super interested in learning how to make anything outside of using presets. I think it’s less of a gender thing and more of how difficult it is to get into. You have to find a daw get a set up (nice headphones or monitors or something) have a decent computer and then on top of all of that spend lots of time learning things that normal people have never heard of. It’s a lot of work to make a single crappy song. Even more work to make a decent song. DJs in general are in the minority. Honestly I feel if daws got pushed to the forefront more and became more easily available there would be a much larger female group than male due to the whole “females are more creative” schtick.

Isn’t there less female scientists too? Not saying electronic music wasn’t mostly about art same way as every other type of music, but compare something like singing vs. FM-synthesis, it’s like comparing cooking vs. physics.

no because men are rated more for their cooking too

its called a chef not cheffette or whatevs

moot

no because men are rated more for their cooking too

Crap, my theory goes out of the window then.

1 BigUp

I think the higher amount of male cooks has more to do with the stress and pressure of running a kitchen. You have to be on top of everyone all the time making sure they get shit done.

No, that is some convoluted excuse after the fact.

Even just that idea is absurd if you spin it around, because pressure is not about muscle level or strenght and a thing like giving birth, certainly does relate directly to being able to deal with pressure.

It’s sexism. Which is going on full force everywhere. And the fact that being a chef is still kind of ‘soft labour’, just magnifies the point of how much sexism means.

This doesn’t mean that a lot of whats going on in commercial cooking isnt very much about being a macho ■■■■ because it definitely is, but you have to question the purpose of that.
Imo it’s just crazy childish and feudal lol.

1 BigUp

I didn’t mean men were better at handling pressure I meant they tend to be more dominant and that’s what I was referring to. My bad

1 BigUp

Oh no!, I dont mean you personally :blush:

Im just referencing a common misconception

Says captain convoluted damnation :wink:

It’s power….

not pressure….women can handle pressure just fine
They just don’t want to - that’s called - being feminine….

being “feminine” is the exact opposite of being powerful-aggressive-controlling

being feminine is not weakness - but it is subtle and non-invasive

Ever go into battle being subtle and non-invasive?

(please note - I am not making irrefutable blanket statements here, just semi-prejudicial statements that reflect my limited and personal understanding of the world)

I think that to perform in front of people,
takes a certain amount of “controlling”

I think confidence and modesty are hard to reconcile…
although they aren’t directly or immediatly correlated…

like, you can be modest and confident…
but being modest may cause you to not seek positions of expressed confidence…

capisce?

It’s alot to be - that bitch

insert Inga Copeland speaking directly to the issue…

the irony of it is the societal context….
quoting a cosmetics commercial that’s selling to a women’s lack…
so dark.

“Why are there no girls here…”

Oh I don’t know…
we’ve just had Satanic Money burnt and beaten the shit out of us

• since the beginning of history…

could be a gender role thing that we don’t even realize is happening….
yep.

I don’t even know what I’m saying - but I have some problems though…

Nah please dont say it like that/‘nah’

You are using some guys notion of what power is.

Power is ability. And with that said, women have more ability, maybe even more abilities because men make do via sheer force.

Men and civilisation as it is, might try to purvey the idea that power is force, but it isn’t!
It’s still ability.

I call double dog bullshit….on your - nah fuck that

You can have all the ability in the world…
but if you can’t “hold position”….

and plenty of douche’losier have been successful…

Way more to “success” than just raw talent.
like - lots of luck - an amount of strategic positioning - some blessedness

all of which - in many ways - boil back down to just luck….

djing and making music isnt easy, you have to look for tunes for hours at a time and then slowly get more people in the club at the least.

you could use frooty loops and make tracks if you are good and play what you here in mixes too and it would be kinda easy.

what if you dont like being on a stage you probably wouldnt want to do all that

I think you are giving men an excuse with what you originally said

the new bit here with succes and raw talent… well i dont know what relation it has to what we where talking about, but ofcourse it takes more…

In all seriousness though….
I was thinking about this last night and honestly…
I’m gonna give you the definitive non-bullshit - non-polite answer

as to why there aren’t more women doing just about everything….

There are thousands of reasons why women don’t do shit…
The motivational reasons go back to women being raised to not be
Greedy Self-Serving Bitches…
Which then leads a whole lot of them to seek “acceptable” altruistic professions
such as teaching or nursing

Unfortunatly, this makes most of them insufferably boring
baby/family obsessed weirdos…
with no substantial merit in the world
beyond the “safety” of their own family or house.

Which leads to a cycle of insisting that “family” is the pinnacle…
of humanistic success - thus making the achievement of family…
the pinnacle of success.

All this other shit is just what people do to get money for the babies
or with the music scene in particular - what people do to get high…
since they are all rotted and without families.

I personally - got tired of bankrupting myself to entertain opinionated ungrateful pricks…
Who constantly try to dismiss me because I’m not girlfriend material.

or should I say - Baby Momma Material.

1 BigUp