This Tune Came from a Dark Place

For this one I was really focused more on atmosphere and overall vibe: Basically I wanted to convey anger, hate, and to create a bleak atmosphere. What are your thoughts on the execution? (Mixing, writing and arranging, samples, sound design etc.)

https://soundcloud.com/soul-of-seun-s-o-s/choke-on-your-own-blood-1

1 BigUp

IšŸ˜Ž

Ok, minor notes:

The intro flows too well, actually - for creating tension it helps to break things up, make it more jarring or unexpected. Just put some more negative spaces in there in such a way that itā€™s not just quantized or symmetrical. In fact, itā€™s probably safe to say you could work subtractively at this point - start removing elements until the point that it almost just stops working and then finalize it.

LOVE that animal growl sample and think it could be used more - but subtly, subtly - like a layer on the bass or something, or some timestretch business.

Overall the tune is dark but maybe not quite as aggro as your description or the name might implyā€¦ and thatā€™s totally ok because it works at the level itā€™s at now but maybe think about toning down the packaging as it were.

More variety in variations/parts/sections would make me happy but thatā€™s just me.

1 BigUp

Damn, the atmosphere of this is sick. I think it definitely communicates ā€œdarkā€ very effectively. The anger and hate part of it may not be quite as prominent though. But other than that I really like the atmospheric sound design of this a lot. A lot of interesting reverberations and soundscapes.

1 BigUp

Drums really add motion for sure but i think in some places the synths sound a little out of time and hard to listen to :slight_smile:

Mixdown sounds decent to my ears but thats definately a personal thing, i would possibly sidechain the kick to bass if u havent already and make the kick punch more :smile:

Honestly mate this sounds sick. The intro is great and I love the interplay between the drums and the bass. Aside from the fact that itā€™s a great tune Iā€™d say the whole thing conveys the emotions youā€™re trying to present pretty well. Nice one man, donā€™t suppose youā€™ve got a DL link for this anywhere?

really like your reese bassā€¦could have eqed it a bit differently imoā€¦nonetheless great track

Really nice, I would suggest that if this was my tune I would probably try to make more prominent transitions/pauses by emphasising them with additional swooshes or something.