Tuna - The Legend Continues

yeahh i feel you, that could definitely work. got those synths in ableton which are good. for some reason ive never worked with sends yet, all my sounds are just dry channels haha. need to try this

sends are the way fwd m8

1 BigUp

thanks for the feedback guys, definitely need to put work in the atmospheres n stuff

tape delays man, tape delays

the thing is you can work without sends by just copying the exact effects on every channel you want this effect on haha its a tricky thing though cause sends as far as i know either start or end an effect chain ( not sure if you can send in dry )
but if its an end effect like a reverb to give room or a dubdelay or phaser or whatever you want on dif channels you will save alot of rom
but yeah you can add more stereo to alot of stuff by just pickign a room reverb and putting it on everything but with dif levels (1-100)
like a real room i would say (although i dont know shit about this stuff but i would asume the closer sth to a mic is the less (quieter reverb you will get )
so close less send, far away more and less db on the main channel

ah no not true i think you can easily send a dry signal to a dif audio channel in ableton ( every other daw i guess too)
and you can deside to send whatever to the send like if you wanna add somethign but you dont want the send you can add it to the other channel not the dry one you have the reverb on although you could add the same reverb to the new channel too

@cyclopian we might have to tune battle about this. dry tune vs sender

you know what bud, now that you’ve explained it i understand exactly what you mean, i think i did mess around with send channels at one point. i had stopped cos i was relying too much on fx for my music, but yeah now that you mention, gotta check this again

yeah @syrup thats an idea. is there a stock tape delay on reaper? always been a bit stingy with delay haha

:3 hope no sarcasm
and
http://www.pluginboutique.com/product/2-Effects/10-Delay/360-NastyDLA
this one i love
dunno if its 32 and 64, mac or whatever but i its form “variety of sound” <3

1 BigUp

that looks nice. i’ve noticed your reverb lets elements fit in very nicely, guessing its the send channel that helps do the trick
and no i wasnt being sarcastic, always interesting to read about technicals

There’s ReaDelay, but personally I use Khaerjus Classic delay, pretty nice little plugin, E-Phonic Tape delay is decent too, check this:

1 BigUp

When I first started producing, I always had heard the sounds of a delay/echo but didnt know what it was. So I’d program my drums’ delays by hand. Like drawing the midi notes and adjusting velocity to get quieter on each “echo” lol.

2 Likes

that might actually come out with some better rhythms than normal delays
edit: for dub music, its probably smoother to just use a proper delay though.

dunno why, but sometimes it feels like im cheating when i completely transform a tune using delay… this week’s tuna i’ll send in something where i went crazy over delay lol

hm i do it sometimes
often i stick to one vst for reverb not alwas the same but i kinda feel it sounds closer together just by using the same reverb vst for different sounds even if one is room and the other plate haha

@BudSpencertron @Samuel_L_Damnson @syrup @hubb shower me in tuna

already got entries from jizz and cyclopian

2 Likes

STRONGEST TUNA WEEK IN A WHILE WITH 6 ENTRIES! :gunfinger:

Bubbling Jeyser of Jizz
https://soundcloud.com/relka/polarten/s-DKT9J

Skweeklopian the One-Eyed Puffin
http://soundcloud.com/cyclopianarchitects/tape-3/s-5r7m0

Samuel the Buttnaked General
https://soundcloud.com/genrlbeats/crystal-wip/s-ND4LX

Buddy Two-Times
https://soundcloud.com/unimoguri/tritonia/s-j1B7j
https://soundcloud.com/unimoguri/5a-1/s-aUF1Z

Johney the Syrupy Pirate
https://soundcloud.com/johney/bassline-002/s-PAX2X

Faultirz the Destination Folder

I’ll have a proper listen and feedback like tomorrow or Tuesday got bare work to do '(

@Jizz - loving this, maybe a touch of filtrationz on the percs could work (maybe not)
@Cyclopian - Very cool, the ~4 mins onwards is a bit too much for me with that resonance haha, i get this is probably different that what you wanted to do with it, but i think a transition to a ‘bassy’ bit would work really nice here. Do you have stems for this one?
@Samuel_L_Damnson - Damn son! maybe it’s just me, but the piano is hitting a bit too early, i’d suggest shifting it a couple of tenths of ms backwards. good stuff
@BudSpencertron
nr.1 has serious potential
nr.2 is a serious banger, the hats and the reese are too upfront in the mix tho imo
@faultier <3 dis

@Jizz [quote=“Jizz, post:473, topic:2363”]
this week’s tuna i’ll send in something where i went crazy over delay
[/quote]

lol, indeed, still i quite like how it turned out, really interesting textures, agree maybe you could try putting a filter or something on the percs, sounds a bit too oppressive to me as it is

reminds me i still need to finish that misty hills refix

@cyclopian sounds like you’re about ready to move to berlin and deny you were ever involved with anything dubstep
really feeling this one tho seriously, i reckon this would definitely go off in a club. maybe i’d suggest going for harder hi-hats, but idk, personal taste and all that

@Samuel_L_Damnson strong foundation, not that much into trap but i can vibe to this. cant really think of anything to critique tbh. maybe the synth that plays that arpeggio melody from the start could have a more interesting texture, idk sounds a bit bland to me but again, personal taste so eh…
flip the beat and melody a bit in a second part, finish the arrangement and call it a day

@BudSpencertron Tritonia: nice switch away from your recent output, would like to hear a fleshed out version
maybe the distorted percs from 0.23 to 0.30 are a bit too loud tho

vagina 5: seconding syrup’s comment on the reese and hats, aside from that very good stuff, just make it a bit longer and you’ve got a tune

@syrup 10/10 would stab someone in sheffield to this, mixdown could use some work, all the fills sound a bit too quiet, maybe you could start switching the bassline earlier, or maybe hint at the second wub-y bassline every 8th/16th bar halfway thru the first part. feel the destiny’s child should come back at some point too

was expecting a low turnover because of the sample pack comp but man, strong tuna week too, big up everyone :gunfinger:

@jizz nice experiment, really enjoying the vibe, I think if the heavy kick/bassy ting that comes in near the end had come in much sooner it would be a really cool piece. Extra tip, if you’re actually using the send ting for the delay, stick a compressor after the delay on the send, sidechain it lightly to the drum track :wink:

@Samuel_L_Damnson sick ting, i think the really slowed down chunky thing thats going against the bass in the drop needs to be thinned out a little bit, it has just a bit too much of that low end, it might be because its “out of tune” with the bass too, but i think it could work if eq’d a bit like i saw. Overall pretty nice vibe on this one man

@BudSpencertron the vocalish rhythmic bit on there needs more movement depth imo, as it is now its kinda droney but not in the nice hypnotic way if you know what i mean, nice idea so far tho, def want to see these pushed into a more developed bit

on the 2nd bit i agree with the earlier crit, that reese just takes over the mix when it comes in, nice vibes otherwise tho

@syrup maybe i just dont have my volume cranked enough, but that snare doesnt quite bash as hard as it should. The whole thing feels a bit too sluggish for the “bassline” vibe to me. The elements are all there, the mix just isnt quite there imo. The snare should be punching me in the face, the hats making my hands do violent things, and the bass rustling my jimmies. Like i said tho, its all there, the mix just isnt quite forward enough.

@faultier nice vibes as always, my only wish is that that snare (that i think is kinda layered up) but the actual snare noise, if it snapped a bit more and cut through the mix it would reall set the groove off in a good way. Its a little too tame rn imo.

sry i feel like my comments are a bit negative this week, everyones stuff is sick, just…needs that extra little bit of work to go bang. Solid stuff all around tho!

also re: my own entry @syrup @faultier

this op amp thing is my new sideproject, no computers allowed (well except importing the sound into one etc)
this copy tune was a one off live thing soley on my Korg Monotribe recording into a tascam tape machine+a really dutty home build reverb module on a send channel. That means, the “stems” are a cassette haha sry. And in terms of the drums…if you know the monotribe, then you know you dont have much control of that. The painful resonance is on purpose, my aim for this project is sonic warfare. These days a “good mixdown” or whatever, is one that sounds nice at all times. I kinda want to say fuck that, make a heavy mixdown that hurts you instead :slight_smile:

But, this was just the first round, im slowly getting a better workflow for it all, and bringing new bits of gear in. Im mainly waiting on a new mixer, right now my mixer is the Tascam porta 424, lovely thing, but also very limited and the noise floor is taller than most skyscrapers

ha funny you’d say that, when listening to that tune i was reminded of an old mr oizo interview where he was on about making music that people want to turn off (or something like that)

would try to dig up the exact quote, but already late for work