What does "2 step" mean?

boom cha wish ya gf was hot like me

hey everyone, I read all your answers but still couldnā€™t getā€¦

why is 2-step called 2-step?

like, ā€œhouseā€ has a four-on-the-floor pulse, and I found videos explaining it, showing exactly the repetition of the beat that we hear in House musicā€¦

but ā€œ2-stepā€ sounds so vagueā€¦ I canā€™t identify ā€œWHEREā€ do these ā€œtwo stepsā€ happen in the beatā€¦

Could you help here?

Over time UK Garage producers started dropping the 4 on the floor kicks on the 2nd and 4th beat leaving just the kick and snare with the snare hitting on the 2 and 4 rather than a kick drum being there.

1 BigUp

Aint it something to do with dancing. That running man/shuffle step. 2 steps per bar kinda thing.

1 BigUp

What does 2 step actually mean though, my best guess is that thereā€™s basically 2 phrases per bar

K - - - S - - - | - - K - S - - -

No one actually knows what it means, we just like to think we do so we can get approval from truheds

Not a lot of people know where the phrase 2step comes from but one theory is that way back in the mid90s an unknown producer released an EP of skippy garage-y rhythms that were atypical of the usual 4 to the floor club tunes.

The EP was called the Toast EP.
Due to miscommunication in a pre-internet age the title was often misheard, misquoted and written down incorrectly, and thus Toast EP became Two Step, and the name became synoymous with those skippy broken garage vibes that were the precursor to dubstep.

The cloakroom attendant told me this after FWD one night when i lent him my limited edition Dreamscape lighter.

4 Likes

Lol

2 Likes