Wolfram Tones Contest - let's make a tune together!

Purty much.

I used itā€¦ the result?

After getting an interesting seed for a melody the opening song of my album is now in 7/8 ffs :thinking:

1 BigUp

Share dammit!

ahaha not just yetā€¦

Exciting that this is the first song Iā€™ll put out in a weird time sig though

I implore you to share the Wolfram bits that went into the track you PMā€™d meā€¦ itā€™s crazy.

Technically outside the posted rules (supposed to use only general MIDI sounds) but fuck man, you just won regardless lol.

Seriously: you guys gotta hear it.

Ohhhh I seeee this is a contest. I thought we were just talking about wolfram hahaha. Hmmm Iā€™m not sure if I kept any of the rest of it. Letā€™s see if Logic did some kind of autosave maybe, or history for wolflam

edit: sorry guys I checked both wolfram and my project file and there is no saved midi file :frowning:

edit 2: I checked my time machine and an earlier save of my project was found, including most of the Wolfram and my earliest interpretation and work on it, woohoo!

It occurred to me (as I re-remembered this comp last night :embarassed: ) that maybe this was a bit vague or sprawling in intentā€¦ the intent being a two-phased ting where we

A) cook up and share interesting algorithmically generated clips using Wolfram and

B) take those bits and each create our own tunes using ONLY GM1 (General MIDI 1) sounds.

:thinking: After a bit of thought thereā€™s a lot going on here.

A total n00b might be into the first one, having no gear/experience, but then not want to follow through because phase B would require more experience for most. For phase B, it seemed obvious that anyone could just use the GM1 soundbank but Iā€™ll be damned if I can find it as a decent quality samplepack. Found it as a Youtube video where they play every sound in sequence but itā€™s 'verbedā€¦Freesound project has a lot of 'em but no apparent organizationā€¦ there are some SF2 packs butā€¦ :confused:

And on top of that weā€™ve got another comp rolling at the same time that a bunch of us are planning on finishing (Roulette)

Should we revise the idea? Maybe vote on a bunch of phase A (MIDI file) submissions first, and then we go off and all make a phase B tune out of the winner with any sounds we want? Or is anyone interested in the idea of just using GM1 sounds?

• Original Plan
  • Two Different Comps in a Row

0 voters

I looked into importing GM banks into Ableton and it was sounding really convoluted and more of an effort than I wanted to put into it. I do have a Korg NS5R in a box somewhere, so maybe I could use that but Iā€™m not sure what other peopleā€™s situation is.

1 BigUp

Yeah, I have an old Roland sound module and then a few SF2 playback options.

Haha yes, I was completely oblivious that it was even a contest! I thought we were just spreading the Wolfram lurveee. But then again that could be just my brain fog. :cowboy_hat_face: