Workflow, Clutter and Technology

this made me uninstall audacity a couple months back, not sure if its fixed yet or if I even trust it any more

1 BigUp

Lol that’s hilarious

in fact it wasn’t audacity it was all fosshub downloads

and you can fix the mbr…but i’d rather just avoid it in the first place lol

and to get back on topic, i got rid of all my clutter (hardware) including mixer (mackie 24:8) when it coughed up a lung…and went 100% vst with a soundcraft ui16 fader-less mixer…works for me tbh, every sound i want to make i can make in a vst/sampler/ whatever…and my electricity bill dropped considerably.

I can relate to the hands-on feels of hardware but I just prefer my current clutterless/cable-less workflow

2 Likes

you could also install the 32 bit version of your DAW on your 64bit OS if there’s any of your old 32bit VSTs which still don’t work via jbridge

You can get a free 30 day trial from Steinberg, and convert to paid (like 100US) if you like it.

It’s worth the trial for sure.

I know when I picked it back up, I felt like it was my savior in a desert of antiquated and ill-equipped audio editors.

This is what I did for ages. It also helps if you want to Rewire another DAW that prefers to install in 32bit mode.

You can also get vst host application that does nothing but run a VST or VST stack.

You could grab SAVIHOST, which is probably the slimmest of the vst hosts I’ve seen, and use something like a combination of MIDIOX and Voicemeeter to MUX your MIDI and ASIO.

Or I think Image-Line’s Minihost Modular has Rewire support. But the problem with that is that 64bit Ableton won’t rewire with a 32bit DAW, and a 32bit version of Minihost Modular wouldn’t load 64bit vsts… Uggg. (I hate this problem as well)

Looks like MUXing your MIDI and Audio would be the only way. (Other than writing a MAX plugin)

But as homie said before. You’re better off just installing the 32bit version of Ableton. The resource consumption limitations are not nearly as restrictive as you’d expect on 32bit applications running on a 64bit OS.

You just don’t want to install a 32bit OS… You’ll get locked to like 4GB of usable memory on the system. LOL

I’ve heard mixed reviews about those Soundcraft UI’s. I was looking into one myself recently, but think I’m leaning toward the Signature MTK instead.

Either way, can’t really go wrong with Soundcraft, eh?

For what we do its perfect tbh, don’t mind sacrificing a bit, soundcraft has never really been the best in quality at this price point (so far so good tho tbh), but when we’re jamming the drummer/keyboard/bass player can set his levels from his phone rather than me having to do it all so i can get on with whatever I’m doing - that alone is attractive enough for me lol

My mixer is now a webpage rather than hands-on faders, but its just another window when I’m in my daw so it suits my workflow anyway

1 BigUp

If it is only $100 I am likely going to check this out again.

Are you using https with TLS encryption on your SSL certs?

:badteeth:

1 BigUp

ummm probably not, no :badteeth:

1 BigUp

It is probably going to be months until I redesign and rebuild my studio. Even then, I don’t know how it’s going to work out. I live in an apartment next to older ladies. I guess I’m just going to start making New Age music.

I think I’m just going to work with select synthesizers with my laptop in the kitchen for now.

Which is bringing me back to the workflow question. I’m thinking about a tabletop setup for jamming.

How do you guys work? Is it all computer or do you integrate some hardware?

I’m thinking about changing up my flow.

1 BigUp

How’d I miss this thread? :confused_og:

Been really heavily rethinking tactile surfaces in general: how the dons of engineering actually played their consoles like instruments; how much vibier music played (vs. sequenced) usually is; how mixing outside the box is usually much more fun (for me anyway, but it’s been a while since I’ve touched a real desk) and how much easier it is to sound good with analog summing; how something like a long throw fader is the same as a nice comfortable neck/fretboard on a guitar - it makes you want to play it…

Of course for me all this is kinda idle spec seeing as I live in a tiny ass urban apartment w/ a family so propose me coming up there and smoking a shit ton of herb and helping you patch when you’re ready.

:badteeth:

2 Likes

Srsly, you need to come hang out at my place. Bring a synth if you want, but plenty of instruments and herb over here, and long throw faders to boot.

@mks: wish I knew you were in Seattle when I lived there, found it really hard to get into the dub scene there as an out of towner. Unlike the punk scene, which is awesome and very welcoming.

1 BigUp

When were you in Seattle?

2006-2009. Loved the city, if I ever escape the Bay Area I will probably move back.

That was soon after I left Zion’s Gate Records. I was one of the people behind the ETG if you ever went there.

:astonished:

PMing you now.

Hahaha, I spent far too much money there, still have the “I :heart:️Dub” sticker on my car.

1 BigUp

take me with u :slight_smile:

1 BigUp