Your own voice

its the ‘context’ that is the important bit

How’s there any more context with a sample you didn’t make?
Do you just mean the pop culture reference? Not to say that’s a bad thing, just don’t see how it’s superior to something without.

The style of drumming that has always interested me has been reggae drumming. The one-drop and all that. Something that I’ve been wanting to make is just something that feels really… primal or something. I don’t know the right word. Not necessarily aggressive but just like really natural. I think one drop is step one and i’m trying to figure out the rest.

I think what he means is like the sample would probably have more “meaning” and “context” than a producer just thinking like yeah I’m gonna say some proper darkside shit and record it

I got that, I just don’t see why. I can’t imagine someone doing something like that unless they were trying to get a point across. Perhaps I’m naïve for that.

tbh I can’t see it becoming a big thing anyway, just a hypothetical situation innit. In some instances it can work (like in chainba which I posted, but I might just be bias cause I fucking love that tune) but generally it would just be cringe and extra effort on the producers part considering the effort involved in making your own vocal sample that would actually work with a tune

call it a reference point then

turning that point over
(ha just noticed ultraspecial put this in his latest ninja mix)

who did the voice on this? Mala?
surely adequate for a few words

imo if you’re embarrassed by your voice
you’re probably just as uncertain about your productions
and more likely to be trying to conform to a stereotype

having the balls to put your voice on there
can be an assertion of your artistic imprimatur,
your willingness to create something original and of yourself

similarly, I want more field recordings, sound-builds a la Tuneyards,
tibetan throatsinging, beat-boxing etc incorporated into proppa ds
I reckon it can handle the nuances.

you can always borrow a mic

1 BigUp

has to be?
isn’t that self-limiting?
in the end they’re music makers
with plenty of examples of shy singers & outgoing producers having intense application
to make personalities irrelevant to creative possibilities

changing your mind
is an underutilized gate to artistic growth
:jack_o_lantern:

http://www.technemedia.com/drummer/

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Wow that’s awesome. Too bad I don’t have an Ipad

Yeah, but there are also ways to achieve something like this with LFOs (handling dynamics and timing).

Teddy records vocal one-shots for his tunes iirc.

many footwork producers just record themselves

i did it on this https://soundcloud.com/0h85/they-got-me-in-the-streets-again-the-jimmy-jamz-anthem

yes

cool
& I see Cessman made a comment, so still around

of course, man’s had 3 vinyl releases this year (4 soon hopefully, please be on time pressing plant), he ain’t going anywhere

coincidentally, just listening to his glitchy dub track Fundamentals on Garage Pressure