Zomby X Burial

Pahahaha the hype!

mine is still on red eye reserves…anticapointment

sweetz is rubbish

It’s got that zomby “sketch track” quality to it.
Don’t hear Burial in there really. The ethereal kinda pads and crackles I guess.
It’s kind of a locked groove type track I’d loop against something else to compliment.

hyperdub just posted it if anyone wants to hear

Not much to say about this track, it’s really trash, lazy and disrespectful towards the buyers. Definitely the wrong direction. If the second part of the track is compressed in 1 minute, it would have been an okayish intro for an album.

1 BigUp

:cornlol:

lol at this meme that zomby somehow coerced burial into this collab

man didnt need zomby to churn out timeless masterpieces like temple sleeper and hiders :badteeth:

1 BigUp

What would’ve been the right direction?
What, in your opinion, makes it lazy?
And who forced you to bag it? :wink:

2 Likes

yeah lol at “disrespectful”! artists do such music as they want and nobodys is forcing you to buy it if you don’t like it.

Ahh, drop this “forced to buy” please, is this like a new version of “don’t like don’t buy it” or “do better” arguments? It feels like the same :innocent:
Why I think it’s lazy: it has many segments with an uninspered interconnection (was interesting and meaningful in Burial’s EPs years ago) and on the top of that all these segments are majorly and heavily sampled and looped in a really simple manner having 4-5 tracks in one segment. It could work but it went wrong 4 me in this collaboration.
Disrespectful 4 me: dropping this as a separate release, limited vinyl edition without any sample and riding the fanhype that comes with it. It dropped and it left disappointed a lot of people. But this is not ur ordinary disappointment like Temple Sleeper or whatever u didn’t like. It feels like a shady move.
I read that Zomby is happy that it’s controversial, good for him I guess. But that’s what bothers me they KNEW it will be that way, and still choose the way they chose to release it. Guess you think now “this fkin idiot”, and of course I am a fkin idiot, they can release whatever they want.

butt in the end opinions are like assh*les
also I’m happy to make you “yeah lol”. If this is what u want, then I wish u more tracks like this :adios:

guess you do have a point if they left out the option of listening to it before buying it

but tbh that could just be about retaining the hype

I’m impressed that you can actually hear zomby in there

because it would be fucking tough ascerting your way of working and ideas and thinking while getting to work with the sound burial has and focusing on retaining that sketchy unfinished opend ended quality there is to his work

some of those background percs are actually jamming - like something that has a live feeling to it

which id never expect from a burial track that in general almost seems like a photo or at least finite in some sense

would love a banshee x burial bit now

1 BigUp

It’s still in shops (redeye, rwdfwd, rushhour, honest jon’s, hardwax - feel free to check others, too), over a week after its release. The tune was put on hyperdub’s youtube channel the day the copies were available for purchase. Contrary to how other labels manage their operation, Hyperdub at no point made any claims of “no repress, no digi”. They made it clear from the beginning the tune would also be available digitally and on the standard 12" LP. So no, in this instance I won’t drop the “forced to buy” argument, since it applies perfectly. Everybody had the option of listening to the music in full beforehand and is presented with at least four different ways of buying the tune (10", LP, digi, CD), via dozens of outlets.

Also, Hyperdub’s kinda known for releasing controversial music, no? That’s their thing. They’re the number one hit or miss label. What else did you expect? :wink:

Fair enough, tastes and that. I posted my take on the track in the unpopular opinions thread a week ago:

Yeah that’s zomby for you, which is why I was not surprised or let down by it. I quite like Sweetz tbh. It’s pretty much what I expected, except less 2 step burial vibes than I thought. A lot of zomby tunes feel like sketches, or just start and stop out of nowhere like that. "Fuck mixing. Let’s dance."
I didn’t see or hear any hype for it besides this thread though, so maybe that helped.

mine is in the mail still, looking forward to having a edgy opinion for you guys as i did not listen before buying.

1 BigUp

Ive still not checked this.

v edgy

Listening to the hyperdub preview.
It’s weird. It sounds like they took a bunch of records that sounded similar when they reduced the bit depth and sequenced them in a randomized order.
That said I actually like it. Like I probably won’t be making an order, I probably won’t listen to it more than 12 times in my life, and I’ll certainly never play it in a mix, but it is actually kinda interesting in that it’s very unpredictable. Arrangement-wise they’re definitely pushing boundaries with it. Also like that it’s quite blatantly buoying off contemporary ‘bass music’ in every way possible.
I wonder what they could’ve done if they’d invited Andy Stott over for a bit.

https://twitter.com/ZombyMusic/status/763758762377224192

:cornverted:

1 BigUp

Anyone going to the LP launch in london? Looking forward to 2814 as much as zomby tbh

Zomby
Darkstar [DJ Set]
Holy Goof

Finally sat down and listened to this, I actually really like it. In some ways it reminds of the stuff that Rabit, Tri Angle et al are doing atm but you can clearly hear that it’s Zomby and Burial. It’s a bit too busy tho imo and at times it feels like a whole bunch of sketches just stitched together

1 BigUp

Holy Goof seems a bit out of place on that lineup tbh, or am I just out of touch?