140 flirtation

besides everything mentioned, i think uk funky was crucial for this transition. cause all of a sudden you could smoothly mix between dubstep and house. not to mention that garage was becoming cool again when hessle & co were starting out and that kinda set the scene a bit.
also guys like martyn who were mixing techno & house from the get go.

night slugs came a bit later on and their affiliations were more like trouble & bass, blog house etc.
as for mount kimbie imo that was more for guys who were coming from other types of music via hearing burial and fly lo.

A lot of the tracks mentioned I just thought were by dubstep artists. no idea darkstar, RSD, guido, joy orbison etc weren’t “dubstep producers” but I kinda see what you mean at a time around 2009-2011 there was so much inspiring stuff coming out of the dubstep scene that weren’t necessarily formulaic wobbly/bassy dubstep but more “experimental” in a sense although I hate the word. I was absolutely obsessed wit that darkstar track ‘lilyliver’ but the hyperdub single was really cool too.

I agree. the interesting thing about mount kimbie is that I read somewhere sometime that originally they were trying / thinking about making this sort of really aggressive tear out wobbly stuff but didn’t have the sound design skills so they just expressed themselves and made something really different. glad they did! even their first EP has aged really really well IMO, imagine if they had made an ep full of heavy wobblers lol no-one would remember it brostep or not

yeah not that those dudes aren’t just thinking in terms of people that have made a name for themselves outside dubstep but got involved at some point (posted that one ft guido cos of baobinga, guido’s not been that active outside of 140, tho i think he used to be a grime dj in bristol before his tunes got interest)

lilyliver is such a percy

that’s jokes about mount kimbie

1 BigUp

I was at Bloc this year and bumped into a good writer/music journo friend of mine and we got chatting about this. And he wanted to know why I stopped releasing music. I said it was because it just didn’t feel fun to build music for release and the label had had so many setbacks financially it was just a daily grind and expensive personally to keep it running.

He said he thought there was another factor which really led to the implosion of the dubstep scene in Bristol, in that when the big guys made their names, everyone went their own direction (some to Berlin, many elsewhere) but the community, that particular scene, just became quite disparate. And it really got me thinking, I was/am completely dependent on my friend circle for inspiration. And the community fed each other in that respect to. We’d see each other at nights, we’d go round houses for radio shows etc etc. And whereas there was space for the c / d list players like me when the community was real tight, when that went away, we all struggled.

For instance I made the Punch Drunk release specifically for Pev, I remixed Erstwhile Riddim because I really thought I could do something different with it, if he didn’t like it, no one would have heard it. And he came and said he wanted an a side for it, so I wrote something Punch Drunk and Pev compatible. Obviously it meant something to me as well (Boat Noodles was my hype track before going to Thailand later that month), but I wouldn’t have written without support/inspiration from Pev.

3 Likes

i was just going to say that pev should have been mentioned in this thread
big up him

this and Ramadanman’s Applepips v2 mix both perfectly encapsulate my favourite period of dubstep.

check this threak out on the old forum for more…

https://www.dubstepforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=266850&sid=c3e36f41833ebcee97313fc26c4fbb74

thanks Joe

2 Likes