Audio Programming and Modular

I made a bit of a plug-in.

It works in part as a mid-side width control unit, but its addition is…

…mid/side time adjustment.

It’s called Nujja.

In other words you can push back the timing of the side channel by up to 100 ms.

It’s comparable to a HAAS effect, but mid/side, not left/right.

It’s a surprisingly subtle but powerful effect, like it just phattens the width without you really noticing.

It’s a free download.
jonah-mann.000webhostapp.com/Nujja.dll

I’ll call this version 0.1 because I can always expand on it, like do this effect in multi-band and nudge the timing of the bands and their reflective mid/sides.

So any comments or whatever feel free.

So in general this is an AUDIO PROGRAMMING AND MODULAR thread.

Anyone had much experience with C++ VSTs, audio languages (like CSound) or modular environments? I know there’s some algorithmic music going on in another thread.

1 BigUp

I think @111 has made some VST’s. I once made my own Subtractive synth in Reaktor. That is the closest I’ve come to doing this sort of thing.

1 BigUp

I’m using Flowstone (was Synthmaker) with Ruby and ASM, I looked in to the C++ VST SDK but it’s long…doing UI in Flowstone is easy, the visual programming part is really well suited to audio, and there’s a load of really fast ASM modules you can use freely. Only real problem is it can only export 32 bit VSTs and a well made Flowstone project won’t be as fast as a well made C++ one.

On another audio programming note, I was dicking around with Tensorflow and NSynth the other day trying to train it to make snare drums, but it’s long, and the quality is bad, but I’m gonna try it again in future.

I made a programming thread a while ago btw, a fair few of us here are in to that kinda shit I think
https://community.dsf.ninja/t/programming-thread/6622

1 BigUp

I’ve done a bit of cSound in the past, but it’s been probably 5-6 years. It was really powerful and elegant in some ways but really cumbersome in others. I like Reaktor because it’s quick, sounds good and can go as deep as you could ever want. Downside is it is super CPU inefficient. My new project is starting to push the boundaries of what my computer can handle, I have to use it at 22k or 33k sample rate to make it run in some circumstances.

1 BigUp

I think I’ve been out of the loop so long, I thought SynthMaker was still abandoned.

I do own a version of FL, so if I dl it on this computer it seems I can check it out.

Interesting. I actually hadn’t heard of these either. :hmm:

Yeah, writing the VST SDK straight is a bit hard to get set up, but JUCE is quite popular, plus there’s RackAFX which Will Pirkle’s books use. You might be aware of this, but it takes some of the heart-ache out of writing VSTs in C++.

I’m actually trying to get JUCE setup with Visual Studio now-ish, but it seems like it would be more usable than RackAFX and has some good tutorials.

https://juce.com/learn/tutorials

Oh yeah, I should have just posted in there. I’ll give it a read.

Yeah, for years I keep telling myself I’m going to get into cSound and then I hardly do haha. It would probably serve as a segue into straight C++.

Actually, there are a couple of relevant MOOCs.

Survey of Music Technology
Georgia Tech
Goes into algorithmic music in Python at one point.
https://www.coursera.org/learn/music-technology

Audio Signal Processing For Music Applications
Audio programming in Python

Musical Sound and Electronics
Audio hardware design.

You can get the materials for free, but the certificate is a (relatively small fee).

1 BigUp