Best Cheap Headphones?

I’ve had the high impedance 770’s for 4 years now. They are great.
Response of the 990 is a bit better though.

Is this the cheap headphones thread or the proper headphones thread? :badteeth:

My Sennheiser HD 202’s are still going stong a year later despite being in my backpack every day. Probably the best $20 I’ve spent in awhile.

1 BigUp

I think for that budget, the best I could recommend would be Audio-Technica ATH-M20X Professional Headphones.

Cheers guys

im probs looking at beyers still but has anyone used these for producing?

they seem p good

1 BigUp

can anyone recommend any good in-ear headphones currently? Mine have just died again so need to cop some more, budget up to £100, need bass obv, want nicest, loudest sound for the money - will only be used for listening to music on my commute off my android phone.

They died? It’s not just the cable that broke right after the plug or something?
I still use the in-ears that came with my Galaxy s2 phone :badteeth:

yeah the left bud has been on it’s way out for months, it kept cutting out and I would spend like 5 minutes wiggling the cable about at the bud end before it would come back, but now it’s completely gone.

I also used the Samsung headphones for years quite happily until I get my current ones which were way better, so kind of don’t want to go back to the samsung ones now lol

Can’t reccomend these enough man.

I bet they aren’t far from the ones you got now quality wise.
Bass is nice, mids and highs not bad.
Even if they aren’t as good as the ones you have they are worth owning for being a bit rough with so no biggie if they break. Absolute bargain for sound quality.

Also them style buds just fall out my ears so worth buying them triple tapered cone ones.
Like these but you can get them for dirt cheap off Ebay

1 BigUp

Dang

https://www.ebay.com/p/Sennheiser-CX-200-Street-II/588752067?iid=183206168970

thx bruv, that’s exactly the sort of thing I’m looking for, they’re gonna break again so cheap and cheerful works for me - will check those out :onethumb:

That’s understandable. I don’t use mine that often, but still I swear by rolling them up neatly every time before putting them away.

I find most decent in-ears sufficient for casual listening. Then again it’s hard for me to judge sound quality when the audio is pumped straight into my earholes. Like, they always sound
to boomy to me even though there’s no way there is any actual bass coming from them.

yeah I don’t particularly like in ear headphones either but they’re just convenient on the train on my commute, and they’re usually better at blocking out all the inane conversations I’d rather not listen too lol

1 BigUp

I have ordered stuff from the ancient city of Shenzhen before. Shit takes ages to arrive.

1 BigUp

I’m in the market for a pair of good headphones for producing.
I make jungle, dubstep, bass heavy downtempo sutff.

I’ve been using a shitty old pair of Technics cans and I figure I need to trade up.
Most of this thread is old so I thought I’d resurrect it rather than trawling through a lot of (likely) redundant posts.

Cost-wise…
Not fucking with budget headphones, but I don’t wanna have to remortgage my house either.

I’ve collected enough headphones throughout the years. My Ultrasone PRO 750 have the best detail for tightening up reverb tails and EQ work. Think of a painter infrequently using a magnifying glass for certain detail on a painting…that’s kind of the purpose the 750’s serve in the studio for me. I honestly end up reaching for my Audio-Technica ATH-M50x more than any other pair, they’re a great balance between comfort and detail. I’ve kind of surrendered to the fact that any more detail than the M50x’s is almost not even necessary per the law of diminishing returns.

1 BigUp

any idea how the ATH-M50x compare to beyer DT-770 pro and Sony MDR-7506?

i’m torn between those three. already have a pair of 7506 but they’ve got a built in limiter so they’re only good at really low volume.

are the AT’s really that comfortable? the beyers look like they’d be comfy as fuck. the sonys aren’t very comfortable imo.

the 770’s are pretty much the same reference as the ATH-M50x’s, and are known to be more comfortable by some (velour ear pads). Just make sure if you get the 770’s that you pay attention to which Impedance version you purchase (32, 80, or 250). The higher the Impedance, the more powerful of an amp you’ll need to drive them. You can’t go wrong with either the 770’s or the M50’s in my opinion, they both rule!

I can use the 770’s for hours on end without any discomfort. Have had them for 6 years now.
Very good for the price. I’d consider open back headphones if you’re not dealing with a lot of extraneous noise, but most of us do.

I have only been able to compare them to the old m50’s, which I thought were a little bit flatter
in response, but definitely not as comfortable for me.

I’m guessing you bought the 7506’s second hand? A built-in limiter is a pretty specific
bit of kit. Probably not cheap either.

Had a read up and those ath-m50x’s sound pretty good.
I produce on a macbookpro in my house which is quiet so no need to worry about exterior noise. I’m going to be setting up my amp and speakers soon so I’ll have a different set up to listen on too so I can get a sense of my tunes on different setups. Therefore the over-bassness of the m50x’s shouldn’t be a problem.