Can anyone help me decipher what kind of synth this is? (Congi + Jafu song)

Yeah, same concept. It runs as far as prog house stabs too.
Honestly, I’d suggest not trying to emulate their sound exactly, but just make a stab and roll ahead with your tune. A lot of what you like about their sounds has to do with placement and mixing.

If I was you I’d mess about with stabby synth patches or samples and learn some ‘jazzy’ chords (I don’t know the the technical name lol), then experiment with them using a low pass filter to take the edge off the stab and make it smother (like what CM do)

Yeah, chords are a big deal too!
You’d want the filter to be on the cutoff of the synth. Turn it way down and then set up an envelope with slightly shorter decay than the one on volume, but keep the release fairly high on the volume to give it a nice tail. Square/saw combos, maybe a couple playing in unison.
Reason I say to put the envelope on the synth’s filter is so that you can automate the cutoff and have it build and collapse through the tune. BP can work quite well too.

yeah that - i always mean on the cutoff when i say put a low pass filter on it :badteeth:

obv bear in mind that geode’s original stab sound might already be a chord, and there are enough chord stab samples out there already which might do the job just playing one note. There’s also a free ensemble for Reaktor (if you have that) called MPT_DEEP_HOUSE_SYNTH.ens which is a nice place to start with stabby chordy synth sounds

I was just messing about with that in reaktor and made a patch that had 4 saw oscillators, one on pitch 0, the next 2 semitones up from 0, the next 3 semitones up from 0 and the last one 7 semitones up from 0, this gives as similar chord sound to that geode track, then it’s just a matter of messing about with the filter cutoff, resonance and envelope to shape it

Nice one for the advice, I agree with what you said about not emulating their sound, sometimes it’s just nice to have a go at creating similar aspects to a tune you like but still I agree I shouldn’t spend too much time trying to replicate someone else’s sound… I’ve been spending quite a lot of time learning chords on the keyboard which is helping --> https://youtu.be/7Q4j8uiZ5xU

I suppose just spending more time in massive creating patches etc will help get to grips with creating certain sounds, I’m just yet to get a stab I’m happy with but I’m sure it will come in time, just get a bit worried I use pads too much sometimes haha… I deffo need to put some time into using melodies on-top of whatever chord progressions I’m using :slight_smile:

Do you usually add the stab to a bunch of elements you’ve already put together? If so, try the inverse, maybe working to your stab will help you along.

@Harry_Griffiths, just peeped that video, that tune’s a vibe! Big up!!!

That sounds like a good idea, I usually add it once I’ve already got something going so I’ll give it a shot the other way round. Out of interest when you start a tune what do you usually do first? I’ve gotten into the habbit of percussion/hi hats first followed by synths/pads etc then the rest of the drums and eventually bass.

Cheers for the kind words about the video too!

No real starting point as it goes, could be a bassline, could be drums, could be a melody or some chords. Usually I have an idea for something I want to build a tune around and just start with that.

Soz to re comment in ancient thread but…

Im after some advice on emulating a synth similar to the one coming in around 14 secs

(the one that sounds sine based that I’m pretty sure has chords coming through it)

I know I’ll need to be playing some chords to achieve a similar effect but what I’m trying to work out is should I go for an oscillator with a sine wave aswell as another oscillator with a different wave?

I ask because I’ve tried with a sine wave alone but I can’t seem to achieve anything too similar, so would you guys advise a saw, triangle etc?

I’m not trying to rip their sound off, just trying to learn more about synthesis. Thanks.