DSF Sample Contest 48 (Winner: MARSEN)

As long as I can find some time I’d be cool handling pack duties as well

1 BigUp

Results are in first post. Congrats to Marsen!

Regarding the artist names (if different from handle here) feel free to out yourselves as you want to or don’t… Especially considering how many basic rules weren’t followed with file naming and format :lol_og:

You fucks. Love ya all.

PS: @Hibbie I was D. :pimpin:

PPS: oh shit I accidentally deleted the poll with rankings… :corntard: definitely someone else should run it next time lol

4 Likes

Oh shit Ronzlo that tune is heavy!!

2 Likes

BIg up @MARSEN tune is HEAVY!!!
Can I get a copy?

Would love to know how you made those kicks :flushed:

Honourable mention to Johney. That track is a killer! Love the percussion

2 Likes

Yeh Johney you killed that, liked it a lot.
As Ronzlo mentioned somewhere it helps to clip a single cycle waveform and then in a sampler you’re off to the races. With a little lpf you have a pretty cleanish sine wave and then from there, pitch env lets you get anywhere you want basically as far as percussion and drums go. So that’s the main body. Then for the top just resampled it, distorted and with a variety of fx mangled it up, made it real wide and cut out the bass freqs so it wouldn’t clash with the main body. That’s the general idea. Honestly wasn’t super happy with a couple parts of it (mainly the clap/snare-ish sound) and if I was fully making it into a track to put out I might work on it a little more. But anyone who wants a copy can def have it, wav or 320

2 Likes

???
I need to research this. And get a wavetable synthesizer(?) it seems.
Anywho - what you did was so fucking good. The kicks just blow my mind, I grew up on gabba/hard techno so anytime I hear distorted gabba style kicks in other genres of music I get waay excited haha.

A 320 would be very much appreciated.

1 BigUp

Dont need a wavetable synth to do it, just a sampler. Ableton sampler is :heart::heart::heart:. Basically slice a very short (milliseconds) piece of audio with a single positive then negative wave cycle and loop it in the sampler. If u follow. That becomes your waveform basically and you can do whatever from there. Simple explanation might not be that clear though you might be able to find a tutorial on the webs or smth

2 Likes

if you’re still using reaper you can do this with reasamplomatic

just load audio there, zoom in and adjust the start/end sample sliders so the sample start and end are a single waveform looking kinda like this:

3 Likes

Complete

1 BigUp

Shit, yeah 100% get it! I thought that’s what you meant, I know how to do that, I’ve been making granular textures for a techno track doing this exact thing. I just didn’t know that what I was doing.

For real right? I’m bringing the grenade launcher

1 BigUp

Complete

3 Likes

I haven’t made an entire tune in a Reaper in almost 10 years - this was a refresher course and reminder of what I do ok and what I totally suck at lol. But really appreciate the love anyway - just one person saying how much they dig it makes it all worthwhile for real.

As for the format of next one, the poll is a dead tie so i say if a clear consensus can’t be reached just do whatever you want @MARSEN, just get it going quick so we don’t lose momentum and wait another 2 years for next one…

1 BigUp

I’m not back home till the 18th of next month but I’m happy to do it when I get back. If it’s too long to wait you guys can feel free to do somethin without me in the meantime

Sry for doublepost, just realized with all thats going on atm I never actually said thanks for the love guys! Really appreciate that y’all liked it, excited to see what we do with the next one :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 BigUp

So yeah…

The part I mentioned earlier about losing momentum: not beefing, but the tradition (winner makes next pack) is kinda a big part of that…

So unless you’re asking us to wait for you why not just pick a sound - any sound - and send us on our merry way?

I know it sounds trifling but just really vibe off these comps like nothing else.

1 BigUp

I’ll join in the next one. Also big up MARSEN

2 Likes

Totally, not that I dont want to, I just dont have access to my computer or anything till I get back. If you want I can just pick something if someone can handle the rest of the logistics. Don’t mean to cramp the vibes at all just really can’t do much right now.
Seems like there was more votes for a small multi pack on that poll, if you guys are into that idea of everyone submitting a sample each (say, everyone who submitted to this challenge, me aside?) Bonus cool points if they’re weird and nonmusical. That would give a pretty limited palette to keep the stakes up. Only offered for you guys to go without me cause I dont wanna hold y’all up if you wanna get on with it. I’m cool with anything

1 BigUp

Or if you wanna take a rain check I’m still down to do one when I get home

Each contestant submitting a sample seems fair.

3 Likes