DSF Sample Pack Contest 49: winner = Faultier

Shorter clip. Less than 2 mins.
6 or 7 entries = less than 15 minutes of anyone’s day.

this vid is sick. if times an issue split the vid into 3 or 4 parts and have it a choice which part you make. hopefully by the end you may have some crazy soundtrack to the vid made by different heaDS

2 Likes

I like that idea

2 Likes

Dope ideas in here, I’m down for that ^^

As far as syncing to audio, some daws have video capability so you could import video and actually produce/arrange to it precisely. I guess youd have to figure out for yourself how to get the track done with whatever your setup is. For submissions tho I think imovie can add new audio to a video in which case it should be easy to put them together after. If we’re only using our voices as the sound source and there’s no pack to prepare, I’d be cool with bouncing the submissions down to a playable video with their audio, shouldn’t be too much work unless we really get a lot of submissions lol

The idea of a 2pop is to put a sound 2 seconds before the start of the video/audio recording so the two elements are super easy to align later. Not sure how it would be useful if the video doesnt already have it. Unless we wanna chop up and export new versions of the clip(s) with a 2pop in it but I feel like itd be just as easy in this situation to just align the start of the song and video together directly? Unless I’m missing somethin

I know ableton has a lil video screen for editing, not sure about other daws. da vinci resolve is free to down load and is a video editor. all you need to do is lob both vid and tune on the vid/audio tracks on timeline and export. its very similar to using a daw as in cut and edit on timeline. anyones got any questions I know a bit about it.

shall we get finalised on the rules and started. Im itching to go and got a day off today

1 BigUp

What’s happening? @faultier, u in this one?

am down for organizing again, just not 100% clear of what the concept is now?

Sound! Think it’s scoring to a 2 minute piece of that black and white vid using ur own voice as a sample source

Anyone think anything else!?

1 BigUp

Yeah what butterz said - score a 2 minute video using sounds you record using only your voice.

2 Likes

Can we do a head count on who’s in and get it started

1 BigUp

Yes I’m in and as I said will help organize once we need to finalize the submissions, not sure if theres much to prepare beforehand

1 BigUp

I’m actually having a hard time finding a decent 2beep instructional video on YouTube.

A lot of them are either platform-specific or mention it as one of many other ways to get it done. I just want a simple straightahead explanation of the concept for everybody to reference, not a 12 minute masterclass for ProTools users… :confused_og:

2pops are used in movie and TV post-production because of the large project sizes and different people handing different parts of the editing. The standard practice is an hour of blank runtime preceding the first frame of the film/show in the pro tools session. So theres a 2pop (just a sine tone, I wanna say 2 khz, for the duration of one frame length) inserted exactly 2 seconds before the first frame of action to help the audio guy place the finished audio in sync with the picture. Mostly it’s an industry thing so that everyone who works on any project will know going in the practice of using a 2pop. Probably why the videos are specific to pro tools as its industry standard.

Since we’re working with our own audio and a short clip on our own I’m not sure of the advantage of adding a 2pop there. You would need to add at least 2 seconds of blank runtime to the video before the start in order to place a 2pop to synchronize to, and I’m not sure how it would be easier than just making a track where the start of the song is also where the video starts

ditto

So much discussion still…

… and I would love for DSF to have a healthy, flourishing production contest culture but there are so few of us regulars and even fewer of us with ample free time. I’m still in for the video acapella score: however we’re losing participants early, before ting has even started. Seeing as the regular comps died off the last few years I’d hate to kill it by posing a challenge that scared ppl away.

Is there any merit to spinning this into its own separate comp? I.e. calling it the Advanced Video Score Challenge or sth and running it as a new series? Future installments would follow the general format where there’s some kinda limitation on sound sourcing along the same lines, but for a video score.

Meanwhile could maintain the proud n00b-friendly lineage of the regular pack comps (we’re up to 50 folks - and that’s after taking a couple years off!)

Just thinking out loud. :hmm: :bulb: :poop:

3 Likes

Someone did start another thread for a general production comp.
At first I thought we were spreading ourselves too thin but actually maybe it’s a good healthy thing to have a few bits going on…

1 BigUp

Hi, everyone I was wondering what’s happening with the sample pack to tune contest as I was looking forward to taking part ,I know a few guys were doing a music to video project and that sounds like a really cool idea too but I was kinda looking forward to taking part in sample contest ,thanks in advance

At the minute nothing is happening. Ideas are floated but nothing is set in stone yet…

1 BigUp
  • Samp pack
  • Voice n video
  • Samp pack n video
  • Voice no video

0 voters