DSF sample pack contest 50 Winner: Pokus

Oof some good ones in here, interested to see whose is whose

1 BigUp

Probably the most stylistically diverse comp in a long time, if not ever. Definitely needs a mix when it finishes.

I think I know which one @Sleepwalker’s is… :badteeth:

3 Likes

:wink:

A. Anything with this much distortion gets my vote instantly. Filth.

FUUUUUUCCCKCKKK me. B is BANGER!!! :dudebro:
Whosever it is needs to sort me out with a copy once this is over!!

I love the Close Encounters vibes of C. So minimal and understated. Wonderful track

How the hell do you guys do it??? Now D is switching things up into some dubwise business. Drums are tight as fuck. And that sub is a bubbler.

E :heart_eyes: :broken_heart:

Has F got reverb on the sub? Can you do that?? What the hell is going on?!?!? WHo cares when the music is this good? How does this sound like an irish jig but also track 12 on a late 90s Warp compilaton?

G. Bubbly swooshy lo-fi techno? Yes. Fucking. Please.

What happened to H? It was about to do something and then it stopped? Did the upload fail?

Once again you have awed me. I wish I could twist sounds out of other sounds like you lot do.
Phenomenal efforts. Big ups.

2 Likes

The more I listen to E (three times now) the more I’m just like… wow. That shit deserves a label release. So nice.

2 Likes

Yeah honestly I didn’t end up voting for it but it was reallly close for me and E is just tasteful as f*ck. Whoever did that big up

2 Likes

such a hard contest to judge everyone smashed it

2 Likes

Bump.
1 day left to vote

big up @Pokus for a well deserved victory, seriously good tune :ok_hand:

mine was F, i’ll let other offenders out themselves if they want to

5 Likes

Big up to @Pokus absolutely stunning track.Well done mate.

Mine was A under my Interrogator moniker…

Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 20.18.07

5 Likes

Woop! Thanks a lot guys :alien:
So, I get to select samples for the next contest or what? :grin:

5 Likes

Good job Pokus, that was a delicious track. :drooling_face:

I kind of wondered if that was you Sleepwalker, big chewn dog, probably my favourite of yours that I’ve heard.
B was mine, I feel like theres a couple bits that were a bit too busy/muddy in that mixdown but I’ll give it a final edit and will send to you/anyone else who wants it. :sparkling_heart:

Been said but once again, great job folks, definitely the best submissions on a contest since I’ve started participating imo…

4 Likes

yep, you can send me the .zip once you put a pack together if you like, happy to do the organizing again unless someone else wants to step up?

Biggups @pokus ! would love to know how you got that sound it was beautiful!

I was G, mixdown could of been better but was pretty happy with my effort.

4 Likes

G was sick man!
Found it hard to choose between E & F.
H is so underrated, could of scored way higher if it were in some of the previous contests, the competition was too high though

2 Likes

Cheers mate! yeh I picked E n F but it could have easily been another 2 the standard was that high

2 Likes

Thanx for the kind words!

I felt like I cheesed out on this one tbf;

• The main pad/atmos was made by running the a#m.wav sample through paulstretch so it lasted right around 4:50 and adding a touch of sparkle with Soundtoys Crystallizer. Also there’s repeated copies of the original sample both pitched down 12 semitones, but alternating between different ‘clip bpms’ or whatever it’s called. “Seg.bpm” in Ableton whenever you’ve got an audio clip warped with markers.

• The noise-bed/moving vinyl noise is isaac em.wav chopped up into 16ths with “slice to new midi track” in ableton looping on one or two notes. The movement is achieved through two modulated band-reject filters, together with a lot of reverb (Lexicon Blackhole) and some soft auto-panning.

• The “glittery” reversed kind of hits is the a#m.wav sample reversed, pitched up 12 semitones with the “texture” warp-mode applied. After that it’s a simple band-pass filter with some lfo-movement and more lexicon blackhole.

• The melody line at the start is a simple synth made with a micro sample from the 808 heavy dist tone 5.wav. Slow attack + lots of reverb and simple automation of the filter made it slide right on top of the rest of the composition.

3 Likes

mateBiggups man! cheers for that response gonna relisten in a bit to hear it with that knowledge

2 Likes