DUB TECHNO - A DSF Production Competition

Yeah she grew UP

1 BigUp

Bloody hell that was quick!

Man this one’s crazy

I don’t think I could ever make a song like that lol

3 Likes

Tbh feels a bit like a stoned Sunday morning live jam… (in a good way.)

You can do that.

2 Likes

The hi hats on II are euphoric

Im hard at work on my D grade knock off

1 BigUp

I got nothing yet.

6 Likes

Was telling @knobgoblin last night that dub techno is such a good exercise in restraint for someone with maximalist tendencies.

Come up with a decent, basic 8 bar loop, nice it up a little, then start subtracting things. Take away as much as possible, then a little more. Follow the old Eno advice to remove as much as you can until it almost stops working, almost. You’ve arrived.

7 Likes

He was paraphrasing Antoine de Saint-Exupéry: “Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”

2 Likes

I’ll check it out :gunfinger:

Really enjoying this stuff actually.

I had a bit Monday, started back at it yesterday and thought it sounded shit. Fucked around for a few hours then ended up going back to the Monday stuff lol

1 BigUp

I’ve got a full loop but it’s not really techno, drums are more mutant dancehall-ish. Going to have to rethink it.

Yeah same. I tweaked some stuff around a bit so it’s more techno-y. Kinda what ronzlo was saying and I was adding way too much instead of just working on a loop that I can keep going for hours on end just by playing with volume and effects

Been making a lot of dub techno lately, my favourite genre after dubstep. :saluting_face:

Also, here’s my #1 dub techno tune, noticed it was missing on the playlist. :smirk: Libration (youtube.com)

4 Likes

Downloaded the pack yesterday and had a nice first draft down by the end of the evening.

2 Likes

I got a proper thing going now. Been listening to it for about a half hour on loop. Very hypnotic.

1 BigUp

ive made a track but its not dub techno more techno/house going have to re do it

1 BigUp

I think I prefer without the hats. The first one feels more organic and meditative to me.

I don’t even know where to begin making something like that tho lol

1 BigUp

ohhh fuck yeeaaa

1 BigUp

Finished mine last night, but after listening to the playlist again this morning I’m not sure if it’s minimal enough. Might crank out a few of these

1 BigUp