Epoch thread

Copped this and happy to share the digis. Just hit me up on the PM

3 Likes

is this only affecting uk shops tho (brexit)? like in other eruo countries are record prices (and shipping) as bad as uk?

No idea about non UK record shops but I think vinyl prices have gone up worldwide due to a perfect storm of different factors e.g. supply chain constrains, majors using up pressing plant capacity, lacquer shortages, covid, Brexit etc etc.

It’s mad that there’s still only one place in the world now that makes all acetate / lacquers for mastering after the Transco / Apollo fire in 2020. If anything happens to them then the entire industry is fucked overnight

4 Likes

In France vinyl prices rised too: before, the average price of a french based label and pressing and all that, was around 9euro for a 12", now its 12€. For imported vinyl its beetween 15 to 20€ which looks like to correspond to the 13~17£ that someone mentionned

1 BigUp

I can see too but with lathe cuts their audience is ridiculously reduced to 30 fellaz, lets say, because of the always super limited numbers of cuts. At least it keep the label alive in the heads I suppose, but the interest of releasing and spreading music sounds more limited than ever with lathe cut, with such limited audience

1 BigUp

Yeah man for sure but I’ve noticed labels doing larger and larger runs in recent years, like the Epoch one is 70 units which is pretty big for a lathe release. Also more and more studios have started popping up. Reckon it’s probs the future especially for smaller labels as the economics of a 300 press vinyl is no longer worth it when about half of that number ever end up getting sold.

3 Likes

Yep, probably. Damn its maybe time for me to start being used to it now.

After been killed by mp3 , vinyl is going to be killed a second time by his little brother the lathecut ^^ thats unfair! (Just joking)

2 Likes

Ah I would say it’s more vinyl being killed by big record companies wanting to cash in on the vinyl hype. Lathe cuts are just are a symptom of that so smaller labels can still release stuff on wax

4 Likes

Yeah, was joking, it was funny to re use this cliché ^^

1 BigUp

Aaah you got me loool

1 BigUp

I really don’t like lathe cuts, i have a few which are quiet af and noisy, gutted it’s going in this direction

The rate your average 12" price is increasing by, it’ll be cheaper to cut your own vinyl soon anyway lol

3 Likes

If one day I win at the lotery (or became president or master of the world or something while im at it) I sware I will do something to counter that. I plan a Apollo 2.0 for lacquers, new hightech vinyl factories in each streets with futuristics cofee distributors for employees breaks, and the abolition of lathecut evil, this great abomination

6 Likes

Lol I’ve had similar thoughts :lol_og:

2 Likes

Big ups

3 Likes

I’ve come around to them a little bit. Couple recent ones I’ve got have sounded as good as vinyl and price seems to have come down a bit for them, although needs to come down a little bit more I reckon.

One of the annoying thing about them though is if you miss them on release date then there’s no way of copping the tunes as they usually sell out on preorders

3 Likes

2 Likes

1 BigUp