Favorite record label?

halcyon veil

1 BigUp

Z audio definitely needs some more love, specifically their On The Edge and Smoking Sessions sub-labels

I dunno i always seen anything Z Audio affiliated as a bit tacky.
Like unauthentic if you could call it that.
Seemed like they were never part of the inner cicle if you get me.
That’s not to say it doesn’t have some decent releases, i have several plates from the label and it’s sublabels

I think I see what you’re getting at, I will admit that they have some rather gimmicky releases in their catalog, sure but I still maintain that there’s some really special material to be found there.
Definitely not one of the more forward-thinking or quality consistent labels out there, but certainly one of my favorites.

Have to agree with this, not a single bad release from them so far.

1 BigUp

I can agree with that sentiment about Z Audio proper (the main label) since I’ve always felt they were a little too tearout-y, but SS and OTE have been really great imo. I remember the first plate on OTE was a killer VIVEK ting - his first release too I think? And Smokin’ Sessions really brought people like Synkro to the forefront

1 BigUp

Again they have some decent releases, I bought Exhale by Indigo on OTE the week it came out, also Everybody knows by Synkro on Smokin sessions the week it camr out.
But these were hardly pioneering releases, the majority just copied styles already out there.
Synkro has never been innovative, like most of the producers/releases affiliated with Z Audio and its sublabels.
Not to say he isn’t a decent producer.
‘Look at yourself’ is one of my favourite releases ever

Also Viveks first release was not great imo!

How many labels can you really say that about tho - that they were pioneering I mean? I agree that SS at least wasn’t exactly innovative but that’s because it wasn’t about that, it was (is?) about putting out quality dubby tunes. I would say tho that some of the stuff on OTE was pretty fresh/forward thinking in its day.

I think I get were you’re coming from but I wouldn’t go so far as to call them tacky or not a part of the “inner circle” whatever that is, they were just really good at filling out certain niches imo. :slight_smile:

1 BigUp

Pretty young label but v interesting so far

u must be proud of that one danish guy being on their roster :thumbsup:

haha tbh it was a bit surprising since he’s well known here but in completely different circles from what Rabit/HV are doing. the tune fits pretty well on the EP though so it’s cool :smiley:

lmao what is he known for then round there?

he’s been doing a lot of things without category, like really fucked up with a sense of humor. This is his own label’s website if you want a visual representation. I suppose in a weird way it fits the HV aesthetic pretty well

2 Likes

looks amazing tbh

he’s definitely carving his own path

1 BigUp

studio one maybe, it’s hard to say. it’s hard to rank labels, they all release shit stuff at one point, even my own. stones throw was up there for a while too but kinda fell off imo.

Why be is danish too btw

I think both Hari (hvad) and Lisbent and Why be are playing bang face this year

(we used to have this mini crap net label called illphabetik back in the day)

for dubstep
Tempa, Black Box, Innamind
Deep Heads, Area Recordings & Aquatic Lab
spring to mind
otherwise Atlantic Records for great 70s music

beneath’s mistry label killing it atm