First world problems for a producer' :)

agree, always said that. the most important thing is style. if youve got a sick style youre good to go already even if your mixes are not really too tight…
and i know a bunch of these guys now who actually kill it but still need to figure out how to mix so their stuff can have the impact it should on a system

1 BigUp

Even a sick style won’t get you far -.- how many artists out there have a ‘sick style’ to you?
Still they are unknown.
And how many artists are there with these ‘sick styles’ overall?
Just a really small list ok: Skrillex, Diplo, Yellow Claw, Datsik, Monstercat Artists, Seven Lions, Koan Sound and so on and so on. you have thousands and thousands of artists with a sick style.

And how many artists want to be successful with their if you count those who just simply do it out of fun? Atleast 90%. And how many want to become ‘the next big thing’? Atleast 80%

Those all EDM artists who sound largely the same though. Not a lot of variation going on there.

1 BigUp

we never talked about variation but success

I stopped watching sound design tutorials long ago. It is true that there is a lot of technically good (high production value) music out there, not as much interesting music.

Which doesnt surprise me as people almost exclusively ask about their mixdowns or sound design rather than something like “does this tine stir anything inside you?”

I probably dont have amazing ideas or hooks in my music, but I try to be most concerned with that.

I hate talking about a subject this way because i am a positive person. I always say do what you desire the most and chase your goals. But this is just the straight up truth.

Yep. Or the dreaded “What DAW are you using?” comment.

I’ve said before that neurofunk helped kill itself off in DnB with it’s over emphasis on sound design and resampling etc…dungeon did the same thing with dubstep, largely blew itself out with people trying to out-patch one another.

EDM founded itself as a genre with everyone trying to sound the same, which is just hilarious.

1 BigUp

mate the names you listed don’T have anything of a sick style to me. it’s all the same loudness noise rubbish - EDM. that’s the point. i don’t know which scene you come from but within the underground side of music is the stuff i’m talking about. the scene i’m talking about isnt about ‘success’ lol.

all these names you listed are like mc donalds, coca cola and pepsi. it’s all marketing, nothin about it is actually ‘good’

1 BigUp

Get far how? Financially? If that’s what you mean, you have a far better chance becoming a successful hedge-fund manager and making tons of money.

I dont even know if I actually have anything to add, but its worth quoting to repeat it.

this all pretty much explains why I dont even listen to DJ/dance music anymore. Its become a circle jerk…are there regular crusty ravers who go out JUST to dance anymore? Or is it just a bunch tnucs with a DAW and rokits at home sucking each other off about who growl basses better? At least in my neck of the woods its somewhat like that, no one that shows to events isnt “involved” somehow…its weird and incestuous…

1 BigUp

I’d say yes to this as I consider myself a crusty raver who still goes out to dances.

I’ve known some scenes that were like that (and probably still are), but I think once you get above a lower tier of any genres there is inevitably a spot where everyone at the dance is either a DJ, producer, promoter or whatever.

South London house scene was very much like that when I still lived there, same with some hard dance scenes I’ve passed through in my time.

They’re mostly a crab bucket though…I remember one guy in particular in the aforementioned London scene who thought he was hot shit, started DJing, getting booked as he could bring 30-40 people in on guestlist. Time goes on, gigs start drying up as fewer mates turn up, he falls down the pecking order etc etc.

Last time I checked he’s got slightly more Soundcloud followers than me, and a Facebook fan page with 600 like and no one talking about it.

He only stays in memory as he once got a load of fans printed up (like the ones you use to flap slightly less hot air over your face in a club) with his ‘logo’ on them.

Ahhh, that thread. At least it keeps them all in one place.

1 BigUp

But we are talking about success right now. So i named successful artists. Whether you like them or not was not the question.
And i don’t belong to a ‘scene’. I belong to music. I hate looking at music as genres because that is already limiting it. Music doesn’t have any limits

Financial success means less in the dubstep world than I think you realize. To me, successful artists in this scene include Mala and Loefah, who may or may not be financially successful but are certainly successful creatively in that they are basically taste-makers.

This last bit actually made me shudder.

Be honest, is this a parody account? If so, well played.

You forget that this is your personal point of view. I see it from a neutral point of view. Successful means financial success to most

What do you mean?

No. You’re the one that forgets that there is no such thing as a neutral viewpoint. I didn’t forget because I said in my post the words “to me”. I’m fully aware that my perspective is my own, whereas you think your perspective is what “most [people] mean.”

success - (n.) the accomplishment of an aim or purpose.

2 Likes

…[quote=“HaXy, post:36, topic:3405”]
to most
[/quote]

already implies it’s not set in stone and obviously does not exclusively refer to finances lol

and i was not talking about genres, i was talking about scenes. my scene is healthy, creative and absolutely vivid yet underground and noone will probably ever be ‘rich’

maybe you should reconsider whether you’re involved in a certain scene or if the world is your scene…

Most is still the majority and as life has hopefully taught you the majority decides.