First world problems for a producer' :)

I think a lot of the problem with EDM is that the people making it are sat in their bedrooms communicating online about it, but not actually going to the shows on a regular basis.

So you have this weird disconnect between the actual ravers (who don’t produce) and the bedroom producers (who don’t go to raves).

I doubt very much the front row at an EDM concert are really worrying about envelopes and filters.

1 BigUp

Decides what? What point are you trying to make exactly?

Pretty much everything. It decides wether or not something is cool. If something gets big like a clothing brand or a phone or whatever (obvious). The People with the majority of the money control the markets we have.
Humans are like blind sheep (me not being an exception) always following the others.

Fair enough, but per this conversation, no one is successful in the dubstep scene, really. By the definition of success you’ve set out.

And no, Skrillex is not a part of the dubstep scene.

i said by a neutral point of view. Personal standpoint i will never know. Cause i will never know which goals somebody has set themselves.

And i like how the dubstep scene tries really hard to hate everything besides it’s own 'scene’
whenever a conversation comes that maybe but just maybe aims against it.

At least i see it that way a lot of times. Just my opinion!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Huh? Who was hating?

Just saying. I already argued with a lot of people here and on other forums. And whenever i state something with facts but still say this isn’t my point of view but a neutral one i receive all these angry angry comments :P. As if anybody would have to defend himself

lol you’re out of your depth pal

3 Likes

Good to know there are still crusty ravers…that is what I would consider myself…but got tired of people acting weird when I said i was just there to dance.

No Hate against growl bass lol just an example <3

This thread seems to be going no where fast…

Success for me is being happy doing what I am doing…I feel like writing music with electronic instruments is a “spiritually” (In the secular sense) enriching activity that saves me from being a brain dead netflix and facebook neckbeard. If someone likes what I write that is only a bonus.

1 BigUp

i not too bothered with financial gain from music. i’m sure it might be nice, but a bigger audience to share with is more my thing…

it’s a shame i wasn’t good, or confident enough to send stuff to future music magazine back in the day when their readers demos feature was a great way to get noticed by a&r peeps that were lurking, but i’m not sure what similar things exist today…

the dubs section on these forums is bollox, and i’m not sure why i bother even posting there any more to be honest…

soundcloud probably died as a useful tool to reach people when they decided to virtually hide user groups, and block any real ability to discover new music easily. i was steadily gaining followers for a few years, and now just kind of flatlined with that really. i feel my productions have improved, but paradoxically gathering new followers has dropped off…

because of the lack of money involved in music sales, the motivation for any kind of management or any of the old methods of getting the right support to help you develop as an artist, or put you in the right places seem to have disappeared.

am i missing something?

I would say that you get noticed if your music is good enough. If you have music which you think is good enough, then give it to a relevant DJ to play. Once a tune is played out/ on radio by said DJ then you’re reaching your target audience

i wouldn’t have a clue about who plays what, and who might like what i’m doing.

i don’t really follow any particular scene enough to know…

maybe that’s part of your problem.

1 BigUp

i would say someone is successful in the dance music scene if making music and playing it makes them enough money to live off. if it becomes your primary profession youve made it really

if youre looking at it from a finacnial perspective

i guess so, but can’t i just concentrate on making stuff, as opposed to learning about every genre of music i might happen to end up making?

i like to listen to, and make loads of different types of music…

where does your inspiration come from? what artists do u like? concentrate on this a little, then you get to know certain scenes.

my inspiration for any track usually comes from illicit substances while finding sounds that i like that seem to fit together…

i stopped knowing about who’s who whenever i stopped djing… i knew loads back in the day from about 1990-93 d&b, and then a bit more from 2010-13 breaks, dubstep, bassline… i knew more about different dj preference in the d&b scene back then, but less about dj’s, and more about producers during the later period… now i’m concentrating on production, i know less about either.

hey, it’s cool… cheers for all the noise on this thread, i’ll see what i can do to fix me without whining about it here :slight_smile:

then you hear a sneak preview of this new “banger”, and smash up your midi controller in a fit of jealous rage :slight_smile:

macc’s posts in this thread:

https://www.dubstepforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74832