FREE STUFF (ᴘʟᴜɢ-ɪɴs, sᴀᴍᴘʟᴇs, ᴇᴛᴄ.)

Probably he means FLEX from FL 20.5, on the first look it seems to be lightweight variant of Kontakt.
So it’s probably not a synth, but rather a very smart sampler with carefully crafted sound packs.
Btw the new Bitwig has Grid which has the most clean modular interface I ever seen.

Add:
Just checked and I may be wrong because article says FLEX is a “preset synth” which is “driven by an advanced synthesis engine capable of Subtractive, Wavetable, Multisample, FM & AM based synthesis”. The fun thing with this is that you can’t control this synthesis at all, only choose presets, so from user side it’s not very different from stuff like Kontakt and I wonder why to even bother to implement it as a synth if user can’t control it, they could just save time and choose samples.

1 BigUp

Sounds like alchemy in garage band, except alchemy in garage band makes sense…

I’m looking for a pack of brass shots, anyone got a link for some?

-inurl:(htm|html|php) intitle:“index of” +“last modified” +“parent directory” +description +size +(wav|aiff) “brass”

Google that

“public domain” “brass” band audio site:archive.org

And that

Also, if you’re using this google power search stuff extensively they start to flag your IP, so you have like 3-4 chances to strike gold sometimes unless using a decent proxy.

Narrow down specifically what kinds of brass you want - name the actual horns, types (orchestral, stabs, etc), learn about how samples in samplepacks are named and try to copy that syntax.

Finally, there’s a lot of US Gov’t. marching band shit that’s in the public domain. Some of it can be found in that Archive.org link.

1 BigUp

Is there a plugin which can take a sample, show all the potential fundamentals it have and provide an option to eq out subset of these notes to leave just a single one or a chord?

1 BigUp

That’d be cool. I would use that a ton.

I don’t know of any plugin that could do that but surely that’s something you could do yourself with a spectrum analyser and a good eq

having something that automatically does it for you would be cool though

this is close:

2 Likes

Massive X looks quite interesting tbh, massive has always been semi modular tho

700 notes tho :grimacing:

p cheap for how powerful it is tbh, not really aimed at the bedroom producer tho haha

1 BigUp

Tbh I’ve not heard many good things about Massive X, pretty much very review of it I’ve seen has said it has a lot of problems around visual feedback in the GUI and not being able to use custom wavetables

I’d like to give it a try for myself but for that price I don’t think I’d risk it.

There’s a lot of hype around Kilohearts Phase Plant atm so that might be worth checking out too

I just picked up Iris2 recently and it essentially does this.

2 Likes

Melodyne is a rabbit hole unto itself tbh. Pretty powerful shit.

Doesn’t ableton have a pretty good tuner?
Could you not just force a sample to a certain tuning? If you use ableton of course…

Yeah, I’m using Ableton, in these scenarios its tuner doesn’t show anything in most cases, I think it’s only able to show note if there is a single obvious fundamental. And in these simple cases I can probably just do it by ear. Main things I’m trying to approach here is making tonal stuff from atonal noisy synth junk or from samples heavily fucked up by fx. I’m not sure it’s necessary at all, just want to try to tune that noisy stuff carefully to see how if works.

Ah ok , you mean like pulling a C note out of some gritty machine noise sample

1 BigUp

Yeah, but most of my stuff is not like harsh noise wall, but more like a semi-tonal stuff. Many standard kick samples in ableton also don’t have a single definite pitch, and tuner doesn’t work for them as well, but still they are not far from being a tonal material after some processing. When I’m playing around in VCV I end up with a lot of stuff like this, which sounds like it may become clearly pitched without losing a lot of its character after some processing.

1 BigUp

Have you tried using the tuner blindfolded?

Not sure if joke or some technical workflow term.
I’ll just share my experience with few default ableton kicks (Drums -> Drum Hits -> Kick) and tuner (default, without changing anything):

A-Kick Remo 1 A - tuner jumps rapidly between A and Bb without anything in center
E-Kick 2 - tuner doesn’t show anything at all
E-Kick 4 - tuner jumps between Ab and G without anything in center
Kick 3k Deep - tuner doesn’t show anything at all
Kick 007 - tuner shows randomly either E or F
Kick 45 Vinyl 1 - tuner doesn’t show anything at all
Kick 45 Vinyl 2 - tuner doesn’t show anything at all

Please let me know if I’m doing something wrong.