Gear Lust Part 7

2 days in and it’s lovely. The analogue synths are nice. Getting used to the fx board.
Be a nice pair with the digi!

1 BigUp

Nice one, been using mine a bunch. Super fun and fast to jam with.

1 BigUp

Analog vocoder :cannon:

Want:

1 BigUp

What else would I need for an otb setup? I’ve got digitakt/syntakt headphones and monitors.
Is tascam the best wav recorder, do they have compressors on. I want to get a boum or heat so compressor prob not necessary. Would a mixer be needed, the syntakt/digi have a mixer page so I’m guessing not

You can run audio on both over USB iirc. Just get a DAW on PC for recording.

He did say otb. A small mixer could be useful depending on what you are doing. It’s an extra level of audio control. Mutes and EQ and stuff.

1 BigUp

No point recording otb though, honestly.

I have set up a scenario where I could do that if I wanted. I don’t do it a lot, but I have the option if I don’t want to deal with computers. Usually I will just bring the hardware that I want to use and bring it over to my audio interface and laptop.

I have mentioned over the years about building a Techno Table that was meant to be completely otb, just for experimenting.

I have a Zoom H6 and a Soundcraft mixer to record. I had to get a splitter for that because the mixer didn’t have separate main outs, so I had to split the main outs going to some small speakers and the H6.

2 Likes

Yeah, I have enough gear to do stuff completely otb too, but not enough space to set it up. Prolly need a couple 10s of meters of cable too.

Though, having (most) things on separate channels in Reason is my workflow atm. I feel like I could use some more inputs though.

1 BigUp

I’ve heard good things about the zooms. I’ll look into that mixer too. Cheers laa

1 BigUp

Like the idea of the process being pc-less

1 BigUp

Sure, many people doing music likes that idea, me too tbh. But practically, it’s going to be a bit of a hurdle. I’d rather have the stems for things available for post-processing and mixing itb, than having to export them from a hardware device, then throw them into a DAW (mostly for polishing and quality if I wanna release something properly).

You’re free to do what you want though of course. Just saying a full otb setup will not necessarily be easier to work with, or cheaper. Might possibly be more “fun” though.

1 BigUp

I’d imagine that the combo of a Digitakt and a Digitone is a powerful combo. You could probably do whole tracks with that. The Digitone has 4 tracks and 8-note polyphony.

2 Likes

I think the Syntakt has 4-note poly per step on the synth parts, but not entirely sure. Being able to load your own samples into the Digitakt is pretty cool though.

2 Likes

Oh right, Syntakt. I had Digitone in my mind for some reason. Syntakt looks fun too!

2 Likes

It’s dope, trying to get my friend who has it to come by my place, to record some stuff for reals. He only has that and and some MIDI keys and is not really recording/producing anything nowadays.

1 BigUp

A post was merged into an existing topic: FASHUN (hypebeast or hype on beasts)

I make stuff cos I enjoy the process. I lose concentration on comps cuz s I can be on here or watching YouTube when it gets frustrating. With the digitakt/syntakt I’m locked into the process, love it. Loving the pair. Managing to use less tracks but getting a fuller sound

4 Likes

aye, its been years since i’ve really fucked with a DAW and its been great fun, i dont really give a fuck about tunes anymore and its nice

5 Likes