Gear Lust Part 7

Yeh that’s where I’m at. Not expecting a hit just loving making stuff

1 BigUp

50% off u-he stuff

2 Likes
1 BigUp

Lol I’ve tried the serato stems and it’s fucking shit, struggles to fully get the vocals from “busy” tracks and it just sound muddy. Probably works with very generic pop tracks tho

That whole Stems thing seems like such a hoax tbh.

I think it can be done well, Francois K does good dub edits on you tube from stems and it’s great but using software to extract bits live is never gonna sound good, you need the original parts to actually doing something good

You see I wrote Stems with big S, meaning the Serato live thing. Mixing/playing actual proper stems is ofc the way to go, if you wanna do that.

1 BigUp

Oh yeah, fair and very accurate lol

1 BigUp

Smh, tryna use proper language to avoid confusion among a bunch of goblins…

1 BigUp

Yeh us goblins don’t really like proper pronunciation and spelling, best to explain things like we’re fully retarded

1 BigUp

LIKE we’re fully retarted?

4 Likes

Picked up my first piece of hardware effects over the weekend.

Nabbed a Zen delay and it already got me feeling like I should drop some more cash to buy a sweet reverb.

Did I accidentally step into the rabbit hole?

2 Likes

That the one made by the Coldcut / Ninja Tune guys? Looks lovely that

Yeah exactly! Was a little hesitant spending that much on a delay but figured I might as well since many of my production sessions I will spend so long tweaking the software delays.

The thing sounds really nice and adds a nice character. I’ve been just sending sounds through the filter and/or distortion with delay turned off and it adds a nice warm texture.

Can’t wait to get more familiar with it

2 Likes

Anyone have thoughts on the Retroverb?

Seems like a cool device but I wish there was more than 1 reverb parameter. Is that common for verbs? The filter and LFO/EG section looks wicked though.

Someone is selling one in a town close to me

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.vermona.com/en/products/effects/product/retroverb-lancet/&ved=2ahUKEwjlj7T7xb38AhXlnGoFHWJSCAgQFnoECDgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1yTrss5bX9LghDLQVaAOTb

its an analog (spring) verb, yeah there’s not really any parameters to adjust. but it has lots of post-modulation and real spring reverbs sound sick

although thats a cool idea, if you made a fancy spring tank where you could electrically adjust the spring tension, damping, maybe more with lil motors?

1 BigUp

That looks like a fun effects box. The crash button is cool for the spring reverb. Get Dubbing with that.

How much is it going for if I may ask?

Gamechanger audio has a pretty gnarly sounding spring with some tricks up it’s sleeve

would probably own one if they came out with a stereo version preferably in 19" format

these are cool too but not exactly a very clean effect compared to some nicer spring units

I have a couple of different spring reverbs and i honestly reach for the spring verb emulation in my Strymon magneto most often because its not noisy, the doepfer A-199 is also really great but hard to get it relatively noise free with the way eurorack power works, but it is fun to easily change out the reverb tanks and having the different outputs

guitar amps are a great source of (sometimes) cheap spring goodness as well

2 Likes

i want the first one just for how it lights up

noise is definitely the issue, i had to add some filter caps to my amp’s reverb to get it to acceptable levels (for a guitar amp)

are eurorack PSUs all switch mode or something? gross lol