Gear Lust Part 7

Live 9. you?

@fragments you doing a spoken word album? would love to hear that

more than anything im looking to get studio tracks that are live. so they could be cut out of a live jam and maybe edited a bit along with studio arrangements to get a final version

to be honest i dont have any interest in some hardware transformation. comfortable with a daw already and dont wanna change it too much. so even if i do get this, it would be more as a tool to assist in bringing some life into tracks. im not a fan of the ā€œlive recordingā€ mode in ableton tbh, always end up arranging stuff in there. need a genuine piece of kit if im gonna go live

maybe its paying a bit too much for that though, i cant tell

Yea. Got quite a bit of work done on the spoken word thing. Youā€™ll know about it when it is finished for sure. Iā€™ve been working up to this for a long time so Iā€™ll sound the alarm when its ready. Paying for proper mastering and the whole 9ā€¦

As far as what you are looking to get from the Octaā€¦yea, I think building sounds and loops in your DAW and getting em into the Octa then doing some live takes would make good use of what the Octa can do. Buy used and it is unlikely youā€™d loose money on if you decided it wasnā€™t for you.

I know the Octa is deep and people get discouraged by it. But I have heard some crazy shit come out of themā€¦

The whole Octa=Ableton in a box is hyperbole, but no other sampler has as many tricks up it sleeve and it begs to be played live whether for studio or live performance purposes.

1 BigUp

probably un-ableton tbh

im looking for alternatives to logic for pc

Reaper?
Reason(<3)

been hearing about this thing called Bitwig as well, though it looks really similar to abletonā€¦ http://www.bitwig.com/en/bitwig-studio.html

Reason is crazy haha, was on it for a couple years. them parametric eqā€™s
shit, just remembered Thor as well. i watched a fair few of those boyinaband tutorials back in the day to learn that synth :cornlol:

boy in a band taught me reason as well back in the day loll, so painful to watch but well helpful. Went to FL after and finally ended up finding home in ableton. Everything else feels so clunky and slow now compared to ableton; especially when it comes to integrating outboard gear.

Reason has literally the only good soft synths out there. I swear every time I use any vsti synths they just sound more plasticky and cheap. Probably because Iā€™m not used to using them mind

yeah reason has some incredible built in tools, the synths are especially great.

luckily for me, i rarely ever do any synthesis :slight_smile: got a few analogue bits for my saw waves and such.

1 BigUp

Luck you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Got myself some monitor audio mr4ā€™s this weekend

Seem great so far, Iā€™m using them as monitors though so will see how that works out. Probably end up having to cross reference stuff with headphones etc to get a better idea of how things sound accross platforms. Anyone else had had this brand of speaker?

thats well lustful. are they meant to be hifi speakers?

The Nexus line is getting an update.

Pioneer DJ have announced two new products in their Nexus line, the CDJ-2000NSX2 and the DJM-900NSX2.

The new industry standard CDJ ups the audio quality with a 96 kHz/24-bit soundcard and 32-bit D/A converter. The touchscreen supports a QWERTY keyboard for file searching and the expanded Hot Cue system now includes two banks of four custom cue points. FLAC and ALAC file formats are finally supported and beat quantisation can be divided by fractions.

The DJM-900NSX2 mixer mirrors the CDJsā€™ upped fidelity with the 96 kHz/24-bit soundcard and 64-bit mixing processor. Improved EQ, fader curves and level metering are complemented by six colour and 14 beat FX, including ping-pong delay and enhanced reverb. DJ handovers should be streamlined thanks to two USB inputs, four phono inputs and DVS support, while DJs utilising the Pro DJ Link system can connect up to four players to a single source.

Watch videos about the CDJ-2000NSX2 and DJM-900NSX2 below.

Not worth the upgrade when youā€™re working with nexus line imo.
I think weā€™ll have some time to check out this new stuff at the club soon, but
Iā€™m only really interested in hearing the mixer.

Elektron Analog 4 has become my desert island synth in two afternoons. Such a great machine. Defo going to be posting some A4 solo jam videos in the coming weeksā€¦

1 BigUp

Hell yeah. Itā€™s such a beast. I love the drums I can make with it as well. Do you have any cv capable synths?

Yes, it is a pretty great percussion machine. I havenā€™t been able to make a proper snare with a single voice yetā€¦but a lot of nice perc sounds inside it.

At the moment all I have is a Eletrix Filter Factory which has CV In. My plan is to cop a Moog Mother-32 as soon as the become more available. Just seems like a perfect CV companion for the A4 and has a completely different tone.

Its really got me wanting to upgrade my Machinedrum MKIā€¦

Upgrade it to RYTM? They are both just so good.
Iā€™m a beta tester and can say youā€™ve got some great things coming down the pipe for both sound design and composition :slight_smile:

1 BigUp

iā€™m not about to start buying crappy cassette tapes again but this looks quite interestingā€¦

http://www.hc-tt.com/

Yes. I think ultimately the plan is to go with a RYTM and just keep my ES2 for proper sampler duties. Itā€™ll be worth it in the end. I know the RYTM is supposed to somewhat model classic analog drum machines, but can it do weird stuff too? That is what I like about the MD, you get all these unique little perc noises w/o even trying. I would hate to loose that.

Honestly I am already truly blown away by the places Elektron has taken their sequencer. Stoked to hear more cool stuff is coming. I simply just donā€™t get people who donā€™t gel with Elektron gear lol.

been talking around a bit about that Octatrack, hearing people who gave it back to use Ableton instead