Gear Lust Part 7

The machinedrum probably covers more sonic ground than the RYTM, but the RYTM can get plenty weird too. The FM and ring mod machines can do pretty great things, as well as letting the lfo work at audio rate you can get great stuff going on. And the classic machines have a much extended parameter range compared to any other xox type drum machine. For example with the rim shot machine, you can make anything from thundering huge bass slabs or tiny delicate high hat type sounds. And that’s before you involve the sample engine, filters, overdrive, and modulation. RYTM can do bass and lead sounds very well with basically any of the synthesis machines. And it sounds great while doing it all :slight_smile:

1 BigUp

In other gear lust news, I just got a shipping notification for a custom made tube eq by Hendy Amps. Paid for it back in august, but it’s a one man show and they recently became VERY popular with mastering engineers, so the waiting list was crazy.

1 BigUp

@knobgoblin going to have to check that company out!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JuZpEtZF-hg#action=share

Korg Minilogue 4 Voice Analog Poly Synth $499 USD

• 2 Osc/1 filter/Osc Mod/Ring/Sync per voice
  • LPF (2 and 4 pole)/HPF filter
  • 16 step sequencer w/ Motion Recording
  • Delay
  • 8 voicing modes

etc…

Korg wins the analog race?

A decent pair of headphones, some monitors, a mixer/CDJs (as I want to learn DJing and figure I have just enough nuance to teach myself), a better MIDI keyboard and maybe more software synths.

Omg that korg looks p freakin amazing

I absolutely don’t need one. Might buy one anyway. Don’t even have room for one!

2 Likes

dammit frags, I’ve been gas free for a long time now. Now in full gas mode over this korg. Can’t wait till more demos start hitting the web, but it seems very promising so far.

[insert evil laugh here]

There are 3-4 demos posted on the dedicated GearSlutz thread.

Yeah, thanks a lot…

1 BigUp

ah yeah i saw the GS thread, read through like 5 pages of people arguing about VCO’s and whether its actually analog and my eyes glazed over.

Nit picky bunch of tnucs over there for sure…

watching this now, damn, tempted to sell some gear i dont really use very often to grab one of these…

this is a bad time for GAS though, getting a 7" pressed in the next month or so and im building a sound system with a friend. Money already v tight haha

I am going to hold out until there are some proper “bedroom” demos out there. But this is super tempting. If only it had CV in it would knock a Moog Mother-32 off the top of my list as I’m wanting something to pair with my A4.

Looks like I’ll be buying a keyboard stand though, because I’m pretty sure I’ll be grabbing one of this in the next 12 months…

anyone ever use an mfb filterbox? tempted to buy one for way too much money cause they’re kinda hard to find, can probably get rid of it if I don’t like it for a loss of like 100

honestly I don’t have much use for it now but once I settle on a drum machine and a nice poly I think it’ll be nice for jam sessions

that korg is super tempting too, bad time to look at this thread

I love the step filter on my OTO Biscuit. You can do cool ass basslines with a step filter : ) Nice on drums as well for da funk. But I would defo buy something that would be more fun immediately or it’ll just feel like a waste of money. At least it would to me…

Gonna be spending a ton of time in front of this rig for the next 12 months…

3 Likes
1 BigUp

Dunno if it is ok to post this here, but just did this today on the A4 and MD…a little post processing in my DAW…

https://soundcloud.com/paegamusic/a4-md-live-140

4 Likes

Holy fuck this Hendy Amps eq is some vibey next level mojo type shit. All the controls are so damned interactive that I’m gonna be sussing out all the quirks and tricks on this thing for weeks. It’s like a culture vulture and massive passive had an illegitimate bastard child. I spent 5 hours today running mixes thru it and it always came out sounding sexier. If anyone wants to send me an unlimited mixdown in .wav I’ll run it thru this thing and post A/B comparisons.

dude! this is sounding nice! Think if you added a nice subtle harmoic-y pad thats just lurking the background of the tune would really add to the tune.

@knobgoblin I def have some material I’d like to hear put through that! And I’d (i think we all) would like hear what stuff you’re running through that.

1 BigUp

Looks like sonicstate has the lowdown on the upcoming sequencer and sound design features for the A4 and RYTM. The conditional triggers are fucking awesome.