Gear Lust Part 7

Looks good cheers but I know to read schematics and map it out on Eagle, you know that software? I can etch my own boards and all, fuck my teachers were cool letting me do that

https://djtechtools.com/2019/01/25/qberts-no-laptop-needed-invader-dj-mixer-reappears-at-namm-2019/

Game changer?

At that price point I could only see it being a game changer if the interface part was pretty solid and had a workflow geared toward vinyl samplingā€¦ but then Iā€™m not a DJ.

no laptop needed? just bring some records :badteeth:

$199

1 BigUp

That actually looks really rad. Awful demo tho lol

Right did you see his bro one video pure shit lol. Behringer has really been stepping their shit up. Who would have thought.

1 BigUp

Yeah haha, I mean its cool in a way, since heā€™s showing some of the basic sounds from the oscillator and not really trying to make it sound goodā€¦but also, fuckin hell lol

yeah, understanding eagle/reading schematics and knowing how to actually design analogue audio circuits are two very different thingsā€¦

but if you already have that down, then fair play to ya

lets hear what you got

1 BigUp

Hmm yeah that is true but I can learn how to design stuff over time. Iā€™ll probably stick to cloning and tinkering with established designs to begin with, like I have an idea for a Big Muff pedal with a fuck load of mods for more tonal variety beyond the Russian/American versions.

What Iā€™m much more keen on doing is building my own sound system with valve amps for the bass and mids. Iā€™m going to start with a headphone amp to get an idea of how they work before scaling up. Thatā€™ll take a lot of calculations for integrating it with the speakers and preamp etc so itā€™ll be a fair few years before I get something ready for a night and even then itā€™ll most likely be more for ā€˜the small roomā€™ lol

1 BigUp

OMG so offended :laughing:

I never said I actually know it all now henceā€¦

Watch this space :twothumbsup: I was doing a lot of research on guitar amps and stuff plus I used to hang out on diyaudio.com a lot so I do have a rudimentary knowledge of whatā€™s required. I do really want to build a valve preamp for my bass too, when I start my dissertation Iā€™ll have more time to think about it but Iā€™m not in a rush really

^this post is actually 100% of what i was talking aboutā€¦

well 66%, missing the frustrated misogyny of the other 33%

lol

show me what youā€™re made of @Test , any ideas for tube amp mods? I got a few basic ones planned (fx loop, negative feedback pot), but want to do something more exotic with the extra channel and/or the two tubes itā€™s supposed to use

edit: sorry, ā€œvalvesā€ in goblinspeak

@cyclopian donā€™t worry, I understand you care and thanks for your concern but this is the internet though and Iā€™m so blasĆ© because itā€™s so disconnected from actual life lol

Phigure when you say mods do you means changes to standard models or unusual novel features that most donā€™t have? If I bought a JCM800 (big if there!) Iā€™d change the bias on the power valves to put KT88s in, same with the Mesa Boogie Mark series. Is this just for a head with a cab separate? Iā€™d personally do that so you connect different speakers later, have different ohmage connections with a transformer thatā€™ll let you connect 4/8/16 ohms etc. You could also add something to switch between power amp classes if you can put two valves in, so like A single-ended, A push-pull and AB push-pull though youā€™d have to design accordingly for each class. I think Mesa Boogieā€™s Mark seriesā€™ parallel A single-ended pentodes and AB push-pull tetrodes power amps are really cool and itā€™s a pity they patented it because it stops other manufacturers using the concept with different valvesā€¦ I wonder what 2 KT88s push-pull with 5 EL84s class A would sound like, bigger pentodes for class A would be better and Iā€™d want something different to the EL34 anyway but I havenā€™t looked into that much - probably too complicated for me to work out parallel power amps anyway.

Oh yeah you could also have both a diode and valve rectifier that you could switch between.

Extra channel thoughā€¦ Like the Lo/Hi gain ones with an extra valve for the Hi one? I think I read that instead of putting an extra ECC83 on the Hi like a lot of models have putting an ECC81 in ā€˜tightensā€™ the sound. Like all these different variations probably arenā€™t going to make a big difference on their own though right? Itā€™s using them in combination thatā€™ll make the biggest difference

Valves are slightly microphonic, meaning they transduce the air vibrations into electrical current. Not sure if it is a good idea to base a sound systemā€™s amplifier around them, especially the bass.

1 BigUp

hi/los are just different impedances, i mean a ā€œnormalā€ channel vs one that gets trem, reverb, an extra preamp tube. I mean itā€™s technically cleaner but Iā€™d rather just use it for something cool. will probably just fuck around with the tone filters if I canā€™t think of anything

simulclass is sick, didnā€™t know they were patent hogs about it tho, kinda wondered why more amps donā€™t have that.

building a combo but my transformer has multiple output taps (4/8/16) so definitely adding them. also the ecc81 in the preamp, needed one for the reverb driver anyways so I copped an extra.

1 BigUp

Yeah sorry I meant gain stages, like the JCM800 has an extra triode on the Hi input (brief description @ en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_JCM800).

What reverb are you putting on it? Spring so you can get your surf on?

@knobgoblin I know but a lot of the early sound systems used big triodes designed for radio broadcasts. They either didnā€™t have a problem or didnā€™t mind but I have thought about how to minimise it, maybe some kind of ā€˜floatingā€™ harness like what Japanese delivery bikes have

have you made any actual trax on this that are online? would like to hear

most of the synthy bits in this one are from the modular

https://soundcloud.com/cyclopianarchitects/dnbes/s-MoDRq

but I use it on most of my tracks these days for one thing or another. Have some really good sounding effects in the rack as well.

Hereā€™s some bits from working on my forthcoming album of all hardware shite

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlxMCcGnrfY/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Blw8YQagfRY/